Solar power gets cheaper, more reliable for homeowners
By Brock Noll, Journalism 310 • April 26, 2024

For most Americans, electricity comes from a company who they pay to keep the current flowing to their house each month. However there may be...

Cobden High Schools ESL Dance Team practices a dance routine during their prep period, Friday, Apr. 12, 2024.
Through Their Lens: Highlights from the Photojournalism Weekend Workshop
April 24, 2024

The School of Journalism and Advertising's Intermediate photojournalism class, organized by Assistant Professor of Photojournalism Julia Rendleman,...

Photo provided by Saluki Athletics
Celia’s success: Pulido puts her name in history books 
By Ryan Grieser, Sports Editor • April 24, 2024

Only one word is needed to describe Celia Pulido’s 2023-2024 season: historic.   The junior from Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico, added...

Military Times ranks SIU Carbondale 3rd in Midwest for veterans

Russell Bailey
High ranking: SIU Carbondale ranked third in the Midwest for serving military service members and student veterans in the 2023 “Best for Vets; Colleges” rankings in Military Times magazine. Paul S. Copeland is the university’s Veterans Services coordinator.

CARBONDALE, Ill. — Southern Illinois University Carbondale continues to earn national recognition for its tradition of providing educational services for military service members and student veterans wherever they might be.

In Military Times magazine’s 2023 “Best for Vets: Colleges” rankings, SIU Carbondale ranked third among 59 colleges and universities in the Midwest and 51st among 325 schools in the nation.

Paul S. Copeland, SIU Carbondale Veterans Services coordinator, said the annual rankings can serve as a barometer on how SIU Carbondale’s programs compare with other schools. SIU has consistently appeared in the rankings for more than a decade due to its long history of serving the military and veteran population.

“We are always looking for new and better ways to provide services,” he said. “This is a great place to pursue a degree for any student, which makes it easy to provide the same opportunities to military/veteran students.”

Military Times reviews retention and graduation rates for all students, along with students with military ties. It also looks at offerings such as SIU’s Veterans Center, which provides access to study resources, socialization and quiet spaces, along with employees who share their military experience and provide peer support, Copeland said.

SIU Carbondale has 545 total military and veteran students. SIU Extended Campus serves 276 of these students who are on active duty and veteran students taking courses online and/or at off-campus locations while using Veterans Affairs educational benefits. Christina Lawrence, Extended Campus V.A. school certifying official, said SIU is dedicated to serving this population.

“SIU has been able to reach across the U.S. throughout the years and even more now with our web-based programs,” she said. “We will continue improving each student’s experience every year, as we are here to innovate, elevate and serve.”

More information on the comprehensive programs offered by SIU Carbondale’s Veterans Services is available at veterans.siu.edu, by calling 618-453-1335 or email at [email protected].