Dominique Martinez-Powell | dmartinez_powell.photography
Letter to the editor: Gaza’s citizens deserve peace
By Y.MApril 17, 2024

The Gaza Strip stands as a testament to the resilience of its people. The conditions of their livelihood are unbearable; Gazans have been enduring...

Letter to the editor: A Rabbi’s message on Gaza
By Rabbi Mendel ScheimanApril 17, 2024

Imagine someone who lives all alone, with no connection to the outside world. One bright sunny day, in the middle of the afternoon, the skies...

Trent Brown sits on the side of the court waiting to substitute in as the Salukis face the University of Evansville Purple Aces Feb. 25, 2024 at Ford Center in Evansville, Indiana. Lylee Gibbs | @lyleegibbsphoto
Letter to the editor: Trent Brown bids farewell to Saluki Nation
By Trent Brown, Saluki Men's Basketball • April 17, 2024

The hardwood at Banterra is where some of you may have heard my name. Others may not know me at all. This note, however, is still to you because...

Great Glass Pumpkin Patch sale is Oct. 21

The talents of students in Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s glass program will be on display with the annual Great Glass Pumpkin Patch on Saturday, Oct. 21.

The event will be held from 9 a.m. to noon on the lawn in front of the breezeway between Pulliam Hall and the Wham Education Building.  The best parking lot for patrons will be at Morris Library.

Since 2006, both undergraduate and graduate students in the glass program at SIU have crafted the pumpkins that sell at this event. About 500 pumpkins will be available this year. The celebration attracts nearly 500 people from throughout the region.

Prices this year will range between $50 and $100 on average, according to Jiyong Lee, professor and head of the glass program. Credit card purchases are available this year, but organizers are encouraging patrons to pay by cash or check for faster checkout.

Proceeds support students

The pumpkin sale is hosted by Southern Glass Works, the glass art student organization in the School of Art and Design at SIU, directly supports the students and their work, and is a way to enhance students’ educational experiences. Proceeds fund programs including the Visiting Scholar/Artist-in-Residence Program, Visiting Artist Series, field trips and conference trips that enhance the students’ educational experiences. Proceeds from the event have also been the main funding for building glass melting furnaces and other major glassblowing equipment.

Visiting artist

Glass artist Sogon Kim, who recently completed her master’s degree in ceramics and glass at the Royal College of Art in London, is the glass program’s artist-in-residence for the fall semester. Lee said Kim has been creating new works in the SIU glass studio, and she will have a solo exhibition at Vergette Gallery in the Allyn Building on campus, 1100 S. Normal Ave., Nov. 13-18. Kim is the 12th resident artist invited since the glass program began the artist-in-residence series in 2010. The glass program has hosted visiting artists from the United States, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Japan, China, Australia and Korea.