Men’s Golf finishes 11th at Boilermaker Invite, look ahead to MVC Championship

Cameron Hupp

Sophomore golfer Frankie Thomas sends a ball down range Tuesday, April 24, 2018, during the final round of the Missouri Valley Conference Championships at the Dalhousie Golf Club in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. (Cameron Hupp | @CHupp04)

The Dawgs Men’s Golf team finished with an 11th place rating this past weekend at the Boilermaker invite. The meet contained 13 different schools attending.

The Salukis finished with a 884 final score, while the home team, Purdue, earned a 822 score and a first place ranking. The Dawgs fared much better on rounds two and three, with a 292 and 291 scores on those days respectively, compared to a 301 finish on round one.

Leading SIU was sophomore Braden Hosington, with a 216 overall score, good enough for three over par and 27th place overall. His best round was round two, where he was the only Saluki to earn under a 70 score in any round, at 68.

Four points behind him and coming in 47th place was graduate student Tom Cleaton. Cleaton hit a 220 score (+7 over par), then junior Justin Wingerter earned 60th place with a 226 score (+13 over par). 

Rounding out the Salukis were junior Hugo Archer and sophomore Carsen Silliman. Archer was just behind Wingerter, with a 227 final score, and 65th place. Then, Silliman came in with a 231 final score and 69th place.

The Salukis will be back in action April 23-25 for the Missouri Valley Conference Championship Tournament in Coal Valley, Illinois.

Sports editor Joseph Bernard can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @Jojobernard2001. 

To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.