Pulido wins big in MVC Swim and Dive Championships

Freshman%2C+Gustav+Persson%2C+swims+the+mens+200-breast+stroke+on+Friday%2C+March+19%2C+2021+in+Carbondale%2C+Ill.+

SIU Athletics | Cassie Buchholz

Freshman, Gustav Persson, swims the men’s 200-breast stroke on Friday, March 19, 2021 in Carbondale, Ill.

Sophomore swimmer Celia Pulido retained her conference titles at the Missouri Valley Conference Championship meet this weekend in Iowa City, taking first place in the 100- and 200-yard backstroke events.

The former Freshman Swimmer of the Year had previously won both events in the 2022 MVC Championships, making her a 2-time back-to-back champion.

Olivia Herron was honored as this year’s MVC Freshman Swimmer of the Year. She earned silver medals in the 400 IM and 200 backstroke, and earned bronze in the 200 IM.

Lucia Romero and Mima Zaborska also picked up second place finishes in the 100-yard backstroke and 100-yard breaststroke respectively. Zaborska also placed third in the 200-yard breaststroke event.

Romero, Zaborska, Pulido and Masha Zhukova finished third in the 200-yard medley relay. Karen Rodriguez picked up bronze medals in the 500-yard freestyle and 400-yard IM races. Tamara de la Torre placed third in the 200-yard butterfly event.

As a team, the Salukis finished fifth out of 10 teams, placing narrowly behind Northern Iowa.

Staff reporter Brandyn Wilcoxen can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @BrandynWilcoxen.