Men’s Golf impresses with 4th place finish in Wildcat Invitational

Junior, Frankie Thomas, of Chesterfield, Mo., practices his driving at the SIU Men’s Golf practice at Hickory Ridge Golf Course on Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018. (Carson VanBuskirk | @carsonvanbDE)

With a +10 over par showing overall, the SIU Men’s Golf team came out of Kansas tonight in the top third of team performances at the Wildcat Invitational. Out of 15 total teams that showed up, the Salukis placed fourth among teams backed by strong performances in round two.

The Salukis had a total score of 874, including a 297 showing in round one, a second-best 285 showing in round two, and tying for second best in round three with a 292 performance. The host, Kansas State, finished first, while not far ahead of the Salukis in second and third were North Dakota State and Grand Canyon.

Leading SIU in their charge were Graduate Student Tom Cleaton, and junior Hugo Archer who both tied for 13th overall with a 217 score overall, making for +1 over par. Behind them was sophomore Braden Hoisington, tying for 24th overall with a 223 showing, making for +7 over par. 

Rounding out the team was freshman Blake Skornia, sophomore Carsen Silliman, and senior Andrew Thornton. Skornia finished tied for 46th with a 228 score at +12 over par, Silliman finished tied for 50th with a 229 score and +13 over par, and Thornton finished tied for 55th with a 230 score at +14 over par.

The Salukis will look to build upon their successes when they visit neighbor school SIUE on the 26th and 27th for the Derek Dolenc Invitational in Madison Illinois.

Sports editor Joseph Bernard can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @Jojobernard2001. 

To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.