Saluki Softball Ends in Tie with Racers

By Joseph Bernard, Staff Reporter

SIU Softball (20-16-1, 9-8 MVC) battled to the end against the Murray State Racers (30-11-1, 14-3 conference) today, ending in a 6-6 tie after going into an extra inning.

Sophomore Madi Eberle got the start today for SIU. She pitched 3.1 innings and allowed six runs off seven hits while walking two and striking out three. Junior Sarah Harness came in to finish the game off for Eberle, as she pitched 4.2 innings of shutout ball. Harness only allowed three hits, but walked six more and struck out seven.

On offense, the Salukis were highlighted by junior Aubree DePron, as she went one for four at the plate and led the team in RBIs on the day with two. Sophomore Elizabeth Warwick also added an RBI off two hits out of four at bats. She scored twice coming to home plate as well. Junior Tori Schullian had a team-best two for three at the plate today, scoring once as well and earning a walk. Three other Salukis earned RBIs as well to plate the six runs.

All did not look good for the Salukis early as they were being shut out heading into the fifth inning and were down 6-0. Sophomore Elizabeth Huckleberry broke the shutout with a sacrifice fly out to right-center, making it 6-1.

The spark by Huckleberry kept going in the sixth as the Salukis plated five more runs in the inning. Graduate Student Jenny Jansen doubled out to left field to score a run, then Warwick’s single out to left field plated another to make it 6-3. Three batters later, freshman Emma Austin kept it going with an infield single to score the fourth run of the day and DePron came in afterward with a clutch single up the middle for two RBIs, tying the game up at 6-all.

However, no more runs would score in the inning, and Harness’ shutout ball continued to keep the game tied after the extra-inning, making for only the fifth tie in SIU school history.

The Salukis will return home this weekend for a three-game set against conference rival Indiana State. Game 1 will start on Saturday with the first pitch being at 12 p.m.

Sports reporter Joseph Bernard can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @Jojobernard2001.

To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.