Saluki Soccer falls to Indiana State 3-1 in Season Finale

Nicole Tillberg | @nicoletillberg

Saluki freshman Madison Bennion pushes the ball forward on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2019 during their 0-6 loss against the Lipscomb Bisons at the Lew Hartzog Track & Field Complex.

By Joseph Bernard, Staff Reporter

The SIU Women’s Soccer team, (0-15-1, 0-8 MVC) took on the Indiana State Sycamores (6-7-3, 4-2-2 MVC) in the final game of the fall 2021 season on Thursday afternoon. The Salukis lost in a hard fought match with a final score of 3-1.

The Salukis were slightly outshot by a 11-9 margin, with six of their shots being on goal and ten of ISU’s shots being on goal. The Sycamores managed more corner kicks than SIU with seven of their own while SIU managed only three.

Highlighting the offense was Sam Dodd, who tallied her first goal of the season off of her only shot on the day. Also worth noting was junior forward Liz Brechtel who tallied three shots, two being on goal, and junior midfielder Christy Murauskis who tallied two shots on goal for herself as well. Junior midfielder Kaitlin Ducharme also had a shot on goal, while senior Ellie Lewis and junior defender Katy Quinn had one shot each.

Freshman Ary Lougher was in at goalkeeper for the afternoon. She allowed three goals by Indiana State in the second half, but managed seven saves off the eleven shots she faced.

The Sycamores got off to a fast start, with three shots already in the first four minutes of play. Luckily, things turned in their favor quickly after, with SIU earning a lead later in the first half.

The Salukis can thank Sam Dodd for giving them the lead midway through the first half. Her goal put the Salukis up 1-0 at the 31 minute mark of the first half. SIU managed to keep that lead throughout the rest of the first half even after and went into the locker room with a 1-0 lead.

Despite leading, the Salukis were actually outshot 6-5 at the half, with five of ISU’s shots being on goal and four of SIU’s being on goal. Luckily for the Salukis, freshman Ary Lougher managed saves on all of ISU’s shots on goal, giving her five in the first half alone.

In the second half, the Sycamores offense attacked aggressively and with a penalty kick at the 10 minute mark, junior midfielder Chloe Kooker tied things up at 1-1. Later at the 15 minute mark, a Sycamore corner kick set up a goal for senior midfielder Alise Emsar, who was assisted by junior midfielder Celeste Wahlberg to give the Sycamores a 2-1 lead. To seal the win for the Sycamores, at the 32 minute mark freshman midfielder Chloe Tesny scored after an assist by sophomore forward Audrey Stephens to make it 3-1 late.

A Saluki push late was halted by the Sycamores and SIU would drop this match with a 3-1 final as their fall 2021 season came to a close with this match.

The Salukis will be back in action next fall as they did not make it to the Missouri Valley Conference tournament this year.

Sports reporter Joseph Bernard can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @Jojobernard2001. 

To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.