Sneaker Ball: SIU Hosts First Homecoming Dance in 8 years

Members+of+the+Homecoming+Court+await+to+be+introduced+during+the+SIU+Homecoming+Pep+Rally+at+the+Student+Center+Monday%2C+Oct.+11%2C+2021+at+SIU.++

Jared Treece | @bisalo

Members of the Homecoming Court await to be introduced during the SIU Homecoming Pep Rally at the Student Center Monday, Oct. 11, 2021 at SIU.

The first homecoming dance in eight years at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, a Sneaker Ball at the Student Center, is being held on Oct. 16 at 9 p.m.

Kevin Turner, president of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Incorporated, said the last homecoming dance was in 2013. 

Isaiah Overton, president of the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) said “But like I also mentioned too, our freshman and our sophomore students, they didn’t really get that homecoming experience in high school, so we wanted to give them the opportunity to fulfill that.”

Turner said, because homecoming week is also Alpha week, Alpha Phi Alpha is a co-sponsor for the dance, and is  helping out with the block party, powderpuff game and much more. 

“It’s a lot of effort, a lot of people helping, a lot of organizations, it’s been a while since we had one” Turner said. “So we want to make sure this event goes as perfect as possible. We want to make sure everyone has as much fun as possible and be as safe as possible as well.”

Turner said he hopes that students will have fun at the dance. 

“We feel like this is a restart of homecoming since homecoming and everything. So freshman, sophomores never really experienced homecoming, so this is the perfect event to show SIU spirit” Turner said. 

Along with the USG and Alpha Phi Alpha, the Office of Student Engagement, Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, and the Dean of Students/Interim Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs have been working all day and night to plan everything for this dance, Turner said. 

“The Sneaker Ball is being conducted and funded through partnerships with several campus departments and student orgs, each of which will be contributing to part of the event” Isaac Luddington, vice president of USG finance said.

The dance is being held on campus in hopes to ensure a safe space to party without the hassle of travel, organizers said. 

“Yeah so I can talk about the last event that they had, it was several years back and they told me that they had roughly 400 to 450 participants,” Overton said. 

“The theme, so the theme is we want everybody to dress up but at the same time still be able to show off the person’s self,” Turner said.

Since not everyone enjoys wearing heels, sneakers are the best way to show off your individuality while being comfortable, Turner said. 

Turner and Overton said they are excited for the dance and homecoming week and hope many students show their SIUC spirit. 

Overton said “It’s free to all students, all they have to do is bring their student ID. And we will also have a DJ there, so it should be a good time.”

“Everything’s happening for a reason, so I’m just really excited.” Turner said. “Hope this is safe, fun, and goes smoothly next week, homecoming week.”

More information can be found at siu.edu in the homecoming events schedule

Staff reporter can be reached at [email protected]. To stay up to date with all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.