Saluki women’s swimming and diving dominates Bearcats

By Brandyn Wilcoxen, Staff Reporter

SIU women’s swim and dive team blew the visiting McKendree Bearcats out of the water at Shea Natatorium Friday afternoon, claiming a team victory 239-60. The men’s team fought a closer contest, ultimately falling short 156.5-141.5.

Saluki women took first place in every event with the exception of three-meter diving. Notable performers include fifth-year senior Sierra Forbord with victories in the 50-, 100- and 200-yard freestyle events and as part of the 400-yard freestyle relay team, and freshman Celia Pulido with wins in 100- and 200-yard backstroke, 200-yard individual medley, and as part of the 200-yard medley relay team.

The SIU men turned in a lesser performance, only taking first place in six out of 16 events, but still brought the team score within a respectable 15-point margin. Junior Adam Cernek took first in the 100- and 200-yard backstroke and 200-yard individual medley events.

Freshman Lee Haywood and senior Kyle Cambell took first and second respectively in the one- and three-meter diving events, providing a clean sweep for the Saluki men on the diving board.

Saluki swim and dive teams will return to action on Oct. 9 when they host University of Missouri at Shea Natatorium.

Staff reporter Brandyn Wilcoxen can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @Brandyn_2020