Schiera, Senti lead Salukis in South Bend

By Brandyn Wilcoxen, Staff Reporter

Southern Illinois Cross Country competed in the Joe Piane Invitational on Friday. The event was hosted by Notre Dame in South Bend Indiana.

Saluki senior Kayla Schiera placed eighth in the Women’s Gold 5K at the Joe Piane Invitational in South Bend, Ind on Friday. Sophomores Ethan Senti and Noah McIntyre led the team in the Men’s Gold 5 mile, placing 24th and 44th respectively.

The Saluki women placed 17th overall out of 24 teams competing in the Women’s Gold 5K. Junior Claire Ayers climbed the standings throughout the race, going from 100th after one mile to finishing in 63rd. Junior Rachel Anderson did the opposite, dropping from 32nd after one mile to 94th at the end.

Sophomore Stephanie Anthonies finished in 112th place. Senior Sydney Matusik placed 125th. Freshmen Ansley Bailey and Katelyn Stapleton rounded out the lineup in 155th and 161th respectively.

Sophomore Taylor Bushman and freshman Brianna Nieset ran in the Women’s Open 5K as individuals. Bushman placed 155th and Nieset finished in 158th.

The Saluki men finished 17th overall out of 19 teams in the Men’s Gold 5 mile. Senti and McIntyre led the way, followed by sophomores Uriah Guthrie and Dawson Smith in 115th place and 118th place respectively. Freshman Vince Van Eck placed 136th, and freshman Josh Delgado finished in 144th.

Saluki cross country will return to action on Oct. 15 when they travel to Peoria, Ill. for the Bradley Pink Classic. It will be the team’s final meet before the Missouri Valley Conference Championships on Oct. 29.

Staff reporter Brandyn Wilcoxen can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @Brandyn_2020