Salukis fall to Loyola Chicago in four sets

By Brandyn Wilcoxen, Staff Reporter

Saluki volleyball (5-10, 0-2 in MVC) fell to the visiting Loyola Ramblers (9-5, 2-0 in MVC) three sets to one Saturday evening at Davies Gym. SIU took the first set 26-24, but dropped the next three sets 25-23, 25-16, and 29-27 respectively.

Sophomore Tatum Tornatta led the Salukis in kills with 18, followed by junior Nataly Garcia with 15 and sophomore Nsia Gittens with 14. Freshman Anna Jaworski tallied 44 assists.

Defensively, senior Katy Kluge racked up 25 digs, followed by Garcia and sophomore MacKenzie Houser with seven each.

The first set of the night saw the Salukis jump out to an early lead, picking up seven of the first eight points and nine of the first 12. Loyola battled back, eventually tying the set at 21. The teams traded points until the Salukis earned the final two to win the set 26-24.

The second set began as tightly contested as the end of the first, until SIU went on a 7-1 run midway through, eventually topping out their lead at 22-16. However, Loyola again sparked a comeback, taking all but one of the final nine points to take the set 25-23.

Loyola carried their momentum into the third set, taking it 25-16 without much trouble from the Salukis. The fourth and final set saw both teams trade runs, combining for nine ties and four lead changes. After a 24-24 tie, the Salukis faced a possible match-ending point four times before the Ramblers were eventually able to put them away.

The Salukis will look to snap their five match losing streak on Oct. 1 when they visit Bradley University. Tip-off in Peoria, Ill. is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Staff reporter Brandyn Wilcoxen can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @Brandyn_2020To stay up to date with all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.