Saluki soccer scores late, loses against Redbirds

By Joseph Bernard, Staff Reporter

The Southern Illinois University Women’s Soccer team (0-9-1, 0-2 MVC) traveled to Normal to take on the Redbirds (3-8, 1-1 MVC) on Saturday afternoon. Illinois State won the match 2-1.

The Salukis were outshot on the day by a 24-13 margin, with only three of those shots being on goal. The Redbirds also earned more corner kicks than SIU, winning that margin 9-2. SIU managed to not foul as much as the Redbirds, with nine coming from the Redbirds and only seven coming from the Salukis.

Headlining SIU on offense was junior midfielder Quinn Parks, who earned the Salukis only goal of the day while being assisted by junior midfielder Christy Murauskis. Also highlighting the offense was sophomore forwards Sam Dodd and McKensey Bunch, who both had three shots with one being on goal for the day.

Senior forward Hailey Blanchard also had two shots on the day, while Murauskis, freshman midfielder Ashley Scesniak, sophomore forward McKinley Stiff, and junior midfielder Kaitlin Ducharme each earned one shot during the match.

Junior goalkeeper Maddy Alaluf started the match, earning 8 saves on 24 shots faced but allowed both goals.

The Redbirds controlled the ball for much of the start, taking the six shots for themselves. SIU answered back with a decent run of their own to finish off the first half, taking five of the next seven shots for themselves, but couldn’t put anything on the board. The first half ended with a 0-0 tie.

The Redbirds quickly took the lead coming out of the half, with a goal in the first two minutes by redshirt junior midfielder Indianna Asimus, assisted by senior forwards Riley O’Brien and Sarah Lafayette.

Illinois State kept the march going, with 10 more shots in the next 30 minutes of play before getting on the board again with a goal by junior midfielder Katherine Felton, who was assisted by senior midfielder Logan Ziegler, making the score 2-0 late.

However, the Salukis didn’t quit from here. SIU finally got on the board late with a goal by Parks, cutting the margin in half with 10 minutes left at 2-1.

A last-ditch effort to tie the game failed by the Salukis and SIU lost the match 2-1.

SIU continues their season Wednesday night with a trip to Valparaiso to face the Beacons with a 6:30 p.m kick-off.

Sports reporter Joseph Bernard can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @Jojobernard2001. 

To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.