Russell shines as SIU places ninth in Hoover Invitational

By Brandyn Wilcoxen, Staff Reporter

Saluki women’s golf finished in ninth place at the Hoover Invitational in Birmingham, Ala. They entered Tuesday in 11th place out of 11 teams through the first two rounds, and shot well in the final round to improve two places.

Leading the way for SIU was graduate student Moyea Russell, who shot 5 over par on her way to an eighth place finish. Her performance earned Missouri Valley Conference Golfer of the Week honors.

Junior Ayanna Habeel saw her score improve every round as she finished in 33rd place at 15 over par. Freshman Kylee Vaughan placed 45th overall at 19 over par.

Junior Secilia Ho finished in 55th with a 28 over par performance. Junior Megan Breslin was close behind at 58th place, shooting 30 over par.

Sophomore Janie Samattiyadeekul placed 63rd at 35 over par. Freshman Morgan Gindler rounded out the Saluki lineup at 66th place shooting 42 over par in her college golf debut.

The Salukis finished strong despite being the only team in the tournament located north of the Sun Belt. They will return to action closer to home, visiting Jonesboro, Ark. for the Lady Red Wolves Classic hosted by Arkansas State University. The first two rounds will take place on Monday, October 11, and the final round will be the next day.

Staff reporter Brandyn Wilcoxen can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @Brandyn_2020

To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.