SIU Women’s Volleyball Team Loses to Tulsa Redhawk Invitational finale

Alex+Washington+bumps+the+ball+in+order+to+set+up+the+offense+during+the+drive+during+the+Salukis+3-0+win+over+the+University+of+South+Carolina+-+Upstate+on+Friday%2C+Sept.+10%2C+2021+during+the+Saluki+Invitational+at+the+Banterra+Center+at+SIU.+

Jared Treece | @bisalo

Alex Washington bumps the ball in order to set up the offense during the drive during the Salukis 3-0 win over the University of South Carolina – Upstate on Friday, Sept. 10, 2021 during the Saluki Invitational at the Banterra Center at SIU.

By Cole Daily, Staff Reporter

The Salukis took on the Golden Hurricanes in their final game at the Redhawk Invitational.

This game was a heartbreaker for the Salukis, where they lost in four sets. However, the Salukis lost every set by less than five points.

In the first set for the Salukis, they led an 8-point comeback to make the score 18-all in the middle of the set. This wouldn’t be enough, as the Salukis lost 29-27.

The second set went back and forth through most of the game. But Tulsa took control of the set near the end and won the set, 27-25.

The Salukis managed to win the third set, 25-21. The Salukis started out strong, and kept their momentum throughout the set to help to capture a victory.

The Golden Hurricanes won the final set, 25-22. Tulsa ended the game strong by going on run by scoring five of the last seven points.

Tulsa’s junior hitter Kayley Cassaday led the game in total kills, with 21. Sophomore hitter Nsia Gittens led the Salukis with 17. Freshman setter Anna Jaworski helped the team with her 50 assists as well, which led the game.

Senior Katy Kluge led the team with 22 digs and Sophomore hitter Margherita Giani led the team with four blocks to lead the Saluki defense.

Sports Reporter Cole Daily can be reached at [email protected]

To stay up to date on all your