Saluki Soccer loses senior day game vs Bellarmine University

By Joseph Bernard, Staff Reporter

The SIU Women’s Soccer team lost their senior day game against Bellarmine University by a score of 2-0.

The Salukis managed to outshoot the Knights 10-7 with four on goal and matched the Knights in corner kicks with three each.

Highlighting the Salukis on offense were junior forward Liz Brechtel, freshman midfielder Ashley Scesniak, and sophomore midfielder Ashlyn Henrie. Brechtel led the Salukis with two shots, both of them being on goal. Scesniak also had two shots, with one of them being on goal. Henrie came in substitution with a shot on goal as well.

Sophomore forward Sam Dodd, junior midfielder Kaitlin Ducharme, senior forward Kaitlyn Stone, sophomore forward Mckinley Stiff,  and junior defender Katy Quinn, all added one shot

Junior goalkeeper Maddy Alaluf was the starter against the Knights. She gave up both Knight’s goals and saved one shot off of seven faced.

The Match started off slow for both teams, but after the first 21 minutes the Knights got the first goal of the game by forward graduate student Sarah Buse and assisted by sophomore defender McKenna Hamm.

The Salukis ended the first half down 1-0 even though they outshot the Knights 3-2 and had more corner kicks than Bellarmine 2-0.

The second half started off similar to the first half, with not much going for both teams, but Buse had yet another goal for the Knights after 18 minutes of play coming back from the half. That would be her second goal of the day.

The Salukis couldn’t get anything going for them after this point on offense and came up empty on more shots late in the second half, losing the match 2-0.

SIU continues their season in Carbondale Friday against Missouri State University in the first Missouri Valley Conference matchup of the season with a 6:30 p.m kickoff time.

Sports reporter Joseph Bernard can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @Jojobernard2001.To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.