SIUC drops battle of Southern Illinois against Edwardsville

By Joseph Bernard, Staff Reporter

The SIU Women’s Soccer team lost their match against sister school SIU Edwardsville by a score of 5-0 Thursday night.

Edwardsville dominated in multiple categories throughout the match, including outshooting the Salukis 25-4 with 11 of those being on goal for the Cougars and none on goal for the Salukis.

Highlighting the night for the Salukis were sophomore forward Sam Dodd, senior forward Kaitlyn Stone, sophomore midfielder Ashlyn Henrie, and junior goalkeeper Maddy Alaluf.

Dodd had two of the team’s four shots, while Stone and Henrie had one each as well. Alaluf made four saves and had one goal allowed in nearly 67  minutes of play.

It was sophomore forward Lily Schnieders that kicked things off for the Cougars, with an unassisted goal after only four minutes of play, which was topped off less than a minute later with another goal by sophomore forward Maria Haro assisted by freshman midfielder Matea Diekema and senior midfielder Andrea Frerker. This made it 2-0 within the first five minutes of the match.

The Cougars had another quick two goals later in the first half, with a goal by sophomore forward Mackenzie Litzsinger assisted by Haro. 25 seconds later, the Cougars had yet another goal by Haro who was assisted by Schnieders.

After the fourth goal the Salukis made a goalie switch, from starting freshman goalkeeper Ary Lougher, to Alaluf. Lougher finished with two saves and four goals allowed in 23 minutes of play and took the loss on the night.

By the end of the first half, the Salukis were being outshot 10-2, notched with Edwardsville in corner kicks at three each, and were losing the match 4-0.

The Cougars didn’t stop their great lay after a strong first half, with 15 more shots in the second half and another goal to end the night at 5-0.

Litzsinger had her second goal of the night within the first 20 minutes of the second half. She was assisted by Schnieders to seal the deal at 5-0.

The Salukis continue their season back in Carbondale on Sunday against the Bellarmine University Knights with a 1 p.m kickoff.

Sports reporter Joseph Bernard can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @Jojobernard2001.

To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.