Salukis win one event, get multiple top finishes at Rock Chalk invitational

By Ryan Scott, Staff Reporter

Southern Illinois competed in the Rock Chalk invitational in Lawrence Kan. on Friday April 30 and Saturday May 1. 

The Salukis event win was in the women’s 3000 m steeplechase by junior Kayla Schiera. 

SIU also placed high in many other events at the invitational including the women’s 4×100 relay where SIU placed third. 

The relay team finished over a second behind the first place hosts, the Kansas Jayhawks. 

Freshman Miracle Berry and Iaunia Pointer, as well as senior Madison Meyer and sophomore Olivia Garner competed for the Salukis in the event. 

Senior Saluki Savannah Long finished fourth overall in the women’s 400 meter hurdles with a time of 1:01:03. 

In the women’s pole vault senior Erin Deimer placed second with a height of 4.11 meters which was one-tenths of a meter behind the winner sophomore Jayhawk Samantha Van Hocke. 

The Salukis had two top finishers in the women’s triple jump. Sophomore Trinity Daniels finished second and sophomore Britney Mosby finished in fourth place. 

In the men’s 110 meter hurdles sophomore Kyle Lind placed third overall with a time of 13.98 seconds. 

Sophomore Omar Rodgers placed second in the men’s 400 meter hurdles with a 52.11, Iowa State Senior Eric Fogltanz won the event with a time of 51.36.

Saluki’s junior Caleb Vogel picked up third place in the men’s high jump just .13 meters lower than first place. 

The Salukis next event will be the MVC outdoor championships in Carbondale on Friday May 14 through Sunday May 16.

Sports reporter Ryan Scott can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @RyanscottDE.