SIU men’s golf team take third pace at Murray State

By Janae Mosby, Sports Reporter

The Salukis men’s golf team participated in the Murray State Invitational on April 5 and 6. SIU placed third overall with 854 points with Belmont placing first with 844 points and University of Tennessee at Martin placing second with 847 points.

On the first day of the Invitational, junior Tom Cleaton led Southern by scoring 140 points and finishing the day in fourth place.

Junior Matthis Besard tied for eighth place, following closely behind Cleaton, scoring 142 points. Freshman Justin Wingerter was tied for 13th place with the score of 143.

Sophomore Josh Mackin and senior Birgir Magnusson were tied for 16th and 30th at the end of the day scoring 144 and 148 points. The Salukis finished the first day of competition in third place with Belmont in first and UT Martin in second.

Cleaton finished the last day of the tournament with the score of 210 and tying for fourth place. Besard finished tied for 12th place with the total score of 215.

Wingerter followed closely behind Besard with the score of 216 and he tied for 14th place. Magnusson finished tied for 18th place scoring 217 points and Mackin scored 218 points and tied for 22nd place.

Staff reporter Janae Mosby can be reached at jmosby@dailyegyptian.com or on Twitter at @mosbyj.