SIU offers Pass/No Pass options for students

By Danny Connolly, Staff Reporter

For the third semester in a row, SIU is offering non-graded academic credits due to on-going challenges with the COVID-19 pandemic.  

Provost Meera Komarraju announced the option in an email to all students on Mar. 18.  

For undergraduate students, SIU will offer a pass/no pass option, and for graduate students they offer a satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading option. 

According to Kim Rendfeld, Executive Director of University Communications, this decision was made in consultation with several groups representing both SIU faculty and students, such as Graduate Assistants United, the Faculty Senate, and Undergraduate Student Government. 

Because it can impact GPA, scholarships, and other academic factors, Komarraju is requiring all students to meet with their academic advisor or program coordinators before electing a pass/no pass grade.   

“It is very important that you have a full understanding of the potential impact of opting for a “pass/no pass” grade,” said Komarraju in the email.  

Komarraju also announced in the email that SIU is extending the limit of a student’s bursar bill to register for classes for the Fall 2021 semester.  All SIU students can register with up to $1,500 on their bursar account when before the limit was $200.

“We know that many students and families are facing financial challenges due to the pandemic. Our goal is to minimize the impact of these challenges on your ability to continue your education,” said Komarraju. 

Komarraju is predicting that all sections of classes at SIU will be in person for the Fall 2021 semester.

Staff reporter Danny Connolly can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @DConnollyTV.

To stay up to date with all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter