Winning streak continues as Saluki Softball goes undefeated in invitational

By Janae Mosby, Staff Reporter

The Saluki Invitational took place Mar. 5-6 at the Charlotte West Stadium. The Saluki softball team defeated all the teams they faced, continuing their 14-game winning streak.

Friday, Mar. 5

The Salukis took on Northern Kentucky University (1-7) and the University of Illinois-Chicago (3-7) on the first day of the Invitational and won both games improving their record to 11-0.

“I give UIC and Northern Kentucky a lot of credit, they came after us,” Head Coach Kerri Blaylock said.”Those two teams competed hard today. I’m just glad we were able to come out with wins.”

Southern defeated Northern Kentucky 7-3 in seven innings with runs from graduate student second baseman Maddy Vermejan, freshman infielder Elisabeth Huckleberry, freshman left fielder Elizabeth Warwick and freshman right fielder Bailey Caylor.

Northern Kentucky scored in the first two innings with a home run from redshirt senior outfielder Ava Lawson and a single RBI from junior catcher Kendyl McKeough where freshman outfielder Megan Lenhart scored, making the score 2-0.

SIU fought back and scored a run in the third, two in the fifth, four in the sixth and one in the seventh innings from RBIs from grad. student catcher Katelyn Massa, senior outfielder Maris Boelens, senior first baseman Jenny Jansen and Caylor. 

In the game against University of Illinois, the Salukis scored two home runs from Jansen in the first inning, followed by a RBI from freshman third baseman Riley Hamilton in the second inning.

UIC scored two runs in the top of the fourth, but SIU scored six runs from Hamilton, Vermejan and junior catcher Danyelle Eilers in the next innings, winning the game 9-4.

Saturday, Mar. 6

The Dawgs only played one game on the second day of the Invitational against the Creighton Bluejays (4-4) and they extended their 12-game winning streak with a 5-3 win.

Creighton started the game off strong with two runs from sophomore infielderKailey Wilson and senior outfielder Ashley Cantu. Southern followed by scoring runs in the second, third, fourth and fifth innings.

Sophomore outfielder Aubree DePron and Huckleberry scored in the second inning from RBIs from Caylor and Bolens. 

Sophomore infielder Tori Schullian scored in the third from a RBI by Sike and Caylor finished the game with a run in the fourth.

Sunday, Mar. 7

On the last day of the Saluki Invitational, the Salukis took on the University of Illinois-Chicago and Saint Louis University (1-7). SIU won 6-2 against the University of Illinois increasing their winning streak 13-0.

Both teams remained scoreless in the first two innings and in the third inning UIC made two runs by second baseman Maica Ingles and left fielder Dee Dee Caskey.

“We had to learn how to face adversity, when [we] get into conference things are not going to be easy and like I continue to say we are not going to go undefeated for the whole year,” head coach Kerri Blaylock said.

Southern kept UIC scoreless for the rest of the game while they scored six runs in the last innings from a home run from Vermejan, a home run and 3 RBI from junior shortstop Ashely Wood and a RBI from Jensen.

“I thought we had great pitching, great defense and timely hitting. I’m proud of our kids for just battling, we are seeing all different types of pitching,” Blaylock said.

The Salukis powered past Saint Louis University, 6-2, in their last game of the Invitational. SIU held the Billikens scoreless for the first six innings.

“This is the best game [Madi] has thrown so far and Saint Louis University is a good hitting team, they’ve put multiple runs on teams the whole tournament. So for her to throw a no hitter for six and a third innings is great,” Blaylock said.

Southern scored one home run in the first inning from Jansen and they made three runs in the third inning from a two RBI by Wood and a RBI from Huckleberry.

Vermejan and Boelens made runs in the fourth inning, making the score 6-0.

SLU scored two runs in the seventh inning from catcher Alyssa Chavez and second baseman Kayla Swiderski, but it was not enough to catch up with Southern.

The Salukis will take the field again on Mar. 12 when they face Ball State University at the UAB Tournament.

Staff reporter Janae Mosby can be reached at jmosby@dailyegyptian.com or on Twitter at @mosbyj.