Southern secures 11-point victory over Kansas City

By Janae Mosby, Staff Reporter

On Dec. 17, the SIU women’s basketball team (3-1) defeated the University of Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos (3-4), 79-68. 

The Salukis fought to keep the lead throughout the entire game, but in the fourth quarter they fended off an attempt at a KC comeback.  

“We had to battle today, KC is a great team [and] they made us better today, that’s probably what I enjoyed most,” SIU head coach Cindy Stein said. 

Senior guard Makenzie Silvey led scoring for the Salukis with 24 points and junior guard Naomie Alnatas led for Kansas City with 19 points. 

The Kangaroos started off the game with a basket from junior guard Jonaie Johnson. Following the basket, Saluki freshman guard Quierra Love made a 3-point shot.

Shortly after, Southern went on a 15-point run with scoring from senior forward Abby Brockmeyer, junior guard Payton McCallister, redshirt senior forward Gabby Walker and Silvey, making the score 18-5.

The run ended by a layup from junior forward Paige Bradford. Kansas City continued to decrease the lead with a layup and jump shot from Johnson to make the score 18-11.

Kansas City continued scoring throughout the first quarter, but they were unable to close the lead by the end of the period, leaving the score 24-20.

The Kangaroos started the second quarter with a basket from senior guard Taylor Larson and a layup from Alnatas tying the score 24-24.

Kansas City then took the lead with a 3-pointer from junior guard Emily Ivory.

The Salukis regained the lead near the end of the second quarter with two free throws from Love and a layup from Silvey.

“Makenzie has the great ability to read defenses and she’s getting better and better everyday, but today I felt like they tried a big kid with her and a little kid with her and Mak took advantage of those scenarios,” Stein said. 

Southern ended the half with a seven point run giving them the lead, 39-31. 

Brockmeyer led the Salukis in scoring at the end of the half with 11 points. Johnson and Alnatas led for the Kangaroos with eight points each. 

Both teams scored continuously in the third quarter, but the Salukis kept the lead 57-49.

Southern continued lengthening their lead early in the fourth quarter with two free throws and a layup from Brockmeyer.

Scoring from junior guard Raven Nero, Alnatas and Larson helped decrease the Salukis lead, but it was not enough to secure the win.

Southern ended the fourth quarter with two free throws from Silvey and a layup from McCallister giving the Salukis the win, 79-68. 

“If I had to give a player of the game, Payton McCallister, her assists, she played a ton of minutes today [and] defensively she did a good job,” Stein said.

The Salukis will face the University of Missouri at their home court in Columbia on Dec. 20 at 12:30.

Staff reporter Janae Mosby can be reached at jmosby@dailyegyptian.com or on Twitter at @mosbyj.