Salukis share bounty this thanksgiving

SIU+Chancellor%2C+Austin+Lane%2C+helps+load+produce++into+peoples+cars+during+the+Pandemic+Relief+Food+Distribution+event+in+front+of+the+Banterra+Center.+Produce+was+donated+by+Cusumanos+%26+Sons+for+people+who+have+hit+hard+by+the+pandemic+on+Thursday%2C+Sept.+3%2C+2020+at+SIU.+

Jared Treece | @bisalo

SIU Chancellor, Austin Lane, helps load produce into peoples’ cars during the Pandemic Relief Food Distribution event in front of the Banterra Center. Produce was donated by Cusumano’s & Son’s for people who have hit hard by the pandemic on Thursday, Sept. 3, 2020 at SIU.

This Thanksgiving promises to bring a lot of changes to the community of Carbondale thanks to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

One thing that won’t be changing, however, is the spirit of giving that takes place both on and off the SIUC campus.

Carbondale seeks to offer a wide variety of options for students and citizens in need of help during these difficult times.

On campus, student ministries such as the Wesley Foundation seek to provide students with a convenient to use food pantry.

“We keep our food pantry open every Tuesday and Wednesday from 1-4 pm. We ask that students bring their dawg tag or John A. Logan student schedule,” Campus minister Sherry Smedshammer said.

“We prepackaged bags for students in order to keep contact to a minimum. Of course, the safety of our students and volunteers is our top priority,” Smedshammer added.

Should students need additional support through the holiday season, the Wesley foundation may be able to offer support. Students in need are asked to reach out via email ([email protected]) or by phone (618-521-9851).

For students who may be looking to help the food pantry, Smedshammer is looking for canned foods with meat (such as canned beef or chicken) as well as various types of pasta.

The pantry also provides toiletries and other items college students might run low on throughout the semester. 

For students who may not be able to travel home for the thanksgiving holidays this year, there is also on-campus support during the holiday.

The Newman Center on campus is offering freshly delivered thanksgiving meals to students who might be in need of a hot, home cooked meal this season.

Due to the ongoing pandemic, there will not be the usual “in person” feast, but the Catholic center is still determined to provide hope, compassion, and tasty food to as many students as possible.

It is requested that students planning to remain on-campus or in Carbondale for thanksgiving contact the director of the Newman Center, Tim Taylor. He can be reached by email at [email protected] or by phone at 618-529-2311.

Staff reporter Elizabeth Hamilton can be reached at [email protected] To stay up to date with all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.