54 students placed in quarantine or isolation in SIU Housing in October

By Rana Schenke, Staff Reporter

During the month of October, 54 SIU students were placed in quarantine or isolation in university housing, according to information obtained by the Daily Egyptian through a Freedom of Information Act. 

Overall SIU reported 46 positive cases from Sept. 28-Nov. 1, six of these were faculty and staff members and the rest were students.

The data obtained indicates between Oct. 1 and 31, 44 students were placed in quarantine and 10 students were placed in isolation in university housing. 

According to the CDC, people who have had close contact with someone with COVID-19 are placed in quarantine, while people who are sick or have tested positive for COVID-19 (with or without symptoms) are placed in isolation.

The data received is broken down by weeks spanning from Sunday to Saturday. From Thursday, Oct. 1, through Oct. 3, one student was placed in isolation and no students were placed in quarantine.

According to SIU’s coronavirus webpage, five students were in active isolation as of Oct. 2. In the week of Sept. 28 through Oct. 4, seven SIU students tested positive for COVID-19, according to data provided on the webpage. 

SIU’s coronavirus webpage no longer specifies how many student cases are students residing on campus or off campus. Additionally, only cases among students tested through the SIU-SIH testing partnership are included on the webpage.

Between Oct. 4 and Oct. 10, nine students were quarantined and one student was isolated in university housing. 

SIU’s numbers show two students in active isolation on Oct. 9 and four positive student cases Oct. 5 through 11. 

Between Oct. 11 and Oct. 17, 13 students were quarantined and three students were placed in isolation.

SIU’s website shows six positive student cases Oct. 12–18, and three students in active isolation on Oct. 16.

Between Oct. 18 and Oct. 24, 10 students were quarantined and three students were placed in isolation. Four students were in active isolation on Oct. 23 and there were 10 positive student cases from Oct. 19–25.

In the last week of October, Oct. 25–31, 12 students were placed in quarantine and two were isolated in campus housing.

SIU’s data shows 13 positive cases among students from Oct. 26–Nov. 1, and five students in active isolation as of Oct. 30.

Staff Reporter Rana Schenke can be reached at [email protected]