SIU offers pass/no pass grading option for fall

By Staff Report, News Desk

Edited Oct. 16 12:41 to say “no pass” instead of “fail”

SIU will once again be offering a pass or no pass grading option for the fall 2020 semester, due to ongoing challenges associated with COVID-19, according to a release from the provost’s office.

“It is very important that you have a full understanding of the potential impact of opting for a “pass/no pass” grade,” The release said. “For this reason, students will be required to consult with their academic advisors or program coordinators or directors before making the decision. You are also encouraged to discuss possible implications with the financial aid office.”

Choosing a pass or no pass grading option can impact a student’s GPA, financial aid, scholarships and applications to graduate schools. 

SIU has also increased the amount students are allowed to owe on their bursar accounts while still being eligible to register for classes in the spring.

“Previously, if you owed more than $200 on your account you would not be able to register,” The release said. “Continuing a temporary change made for the current fall semester, we have raised that amount to $1,500 to minimize barriers to registration for spring. In other words, as long as you owe no more than $1,500 on your account, you will be able to register for Spring 2021 classes. This is a temporary measure in recognition of the extraordinary circumstances caused by the pandemic.”

The Daily Egyptian’s News Desk can be reached at 1-618-536-3328, by email at [email protected] or on Twitter at @dailyegyptian.