61 SIU students placed in quarantine or isolation on campus in August

By Rana Schenke, Managing Editor

Between Aug. 9 and Aug. 31, 48 students were in quarantine and 13 students were in isolation in SIU Housing, according to information obtained by the Daily Egyptian through a Freedom of Information Act request. 

According to the CDC, people who have had close contact with someone with COVID-19 are placed in quarantine, while people who are sick or have tested positive for COVID-19 (with or without symptoms) are placed in isolation.

From Aug. 9 to 15, the week before classes began, two students were placed in quarantine and one was placed in isolation.

In the first week of classes, Aug. 16 through 22, 15 students were placed in quarantine and two were placed in isolation. 

On Aug. 20, SIU released its first report on active cases associated with campus and did not report any active on-campus cases.

The weekly reports include all active cases, not only new cases. The numbers received in the FOIA request of students quarantining/isolating include only students who were newly placed in quarantine/isolation for that week.

The following week, Aug. 23 through 29, 28 students were placed in quarantine and six students were placed in isolation.

On Aug. 26, the weekly active cases reported by SIU included three active on-campus cases.

In the two days ending the month, Aug. 30 and 31, three students were placed in quarantine and four were placed in isolation.

SIU’s latest weekly report, released on Sept. 16, listed 5 active on-campus cases.

SIU currently does not publicly release quarantine/isolation numbers.

Reports of active cases associated with SIU can be found on the coronavirus webpage.

Managing Editor Rana Schenke can be reached at [email protected]