COVID-19 Update: One death, 19 new cases in Jackson County

By Staff Report, News Desk

Update: This story was updated on 8/31/20 at  4 p.m. to reflect the latest case numbers.

Jackson County Health Department reported 19 new cases of COVID-19 and one death on Monday.

The death was a man in his 40s whose case of COVID-19 had previously been confirmed.

The new cases included one individual under 10, one teen, one in their 20s, six in their 30s, four in their 40s, four in their 50s and two in their 70s.

As of Monday, there have been 943 confirmed cases in Jackson County and 22 deaths, and 827 individuals have been released from isolation in accordance with CDC guidelines.

Franklin and Williamson counties reported 29 new cases on Monday.

Statewide, the Illinois Department of Health reported 1,668 new new cases on Monday and seven additional deaths.

Illinois has now surpassed 8,000 COVID-19 related deaths statewide since the start of the pandemic, according to IDPH.

As of Sunday night, 1,492 people in Illinois were reported to be in the hospital with COVID-19.  Of those, 347 patients were in the ICU and 157 patients with COVID-19 were on ventilators, according to a release from IDPH.

SIU’s weekly count was updated Aug. 26 and reported six positive cases, including three on-campus students, two off-campus students and one faculty member.

The Jackson County Health Department asks all residents to follow public health guidelines by wearing a mask in public, maintaining social distance, avoiding social gatherings, washing hands frequently and working with health department officials as they conduct contact tracing.

If you are experiencing fever, cough, difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle aches, loss of taste or smell, nausea or diarrhea, you should contact your healthcare provider for further guidance.

The Daily Egyptian’s News Desk can be reached at 1-618-536-3329, by email at [email protected] or on Twitter at @dailyegyptian.