SIU creates adapted Fall 2020 plan in the wake of COVID-19

By Staff Report, News Desk

SIU released its new plan for the fall semester on Tuesday and revealed what precautions the university will take to prevent the spread of COVID-19 on campus. 

According to the plan, classes will be offered in three formats: in-person, fully online or a hybrid of the two  in which some instruction is face-to-face but parts of the course may be provided online or in alternative formats

The academic calendar will stay the same, with classes starting Monday, August 17, and final examinations ending Friday, Dec. 11. But after Thanksgiving break, the remaining two weeks of the semester will be completed remotely, according to the plan. 

In order to promote social distancing, classes that have more than 50 students will be offered completely online, rooms with fixed seating will have seats that are not to be used marked to support social distancing, rooms with movable seating will be arranged for social distancing and enhanced classroom cleaning protocols will be implemented.

SIU will have a testing and tracing plan in place that will be guided by the Jackson county Health Department and School of Medicine and masks will be required in indoor public spaces.

The plan also said occupancy limits will be posted for elevators, conference rooms, classrooms and other spaces, signage reminding people to wear masks and wash their hands will be posted and gatherings will be limited in size.

Students who will be living on campus will be moving in over multiple days and more details on move-in dates and times will be sent to students sometime before Aug. 1. 

The dining halls will be open but will follow the following guidelines: Students can swipe their own i.d.s any time during operating hours; the system will be touchless. Staff will prepare and plate meals to order; there will be no self-service, but all food options will be available. Tables and seating will be placed to support social distancing, and individual seating will be available, and masks will be required except when students are seated to eat meals.

The full plan can be viewed here.

The Daily Egyptian’s News Desk can be reached at 1-618-536-3329, by email at [email protected] or on Twitter at @dailyegyptian.