SIUC granted almost $9 million in federal aid money

By Kallie Cox, News Editor

Updated 4/9 9:27 p.m.

SIUC has been granted almost $9 million in federal aid money in response to COVID-19.

Last month’s federal stimulus package offered about $14 billion in grants to higher education institutions, according to a report by the Chronicle of Higher Education.

(See more: here.)

SIUC will be receiving $8,866,635 and approximately half of this will be the minimum allocation to be awarded for emergency financial aid grants to students.

John Charles, Executive Director for Governmental & Public Affairs for the SIU system, said the system has not made a determination on how the funds will be distributed yet.

“In addition to key federal guidelines on how these dollars can be used, we just learned of the exact amount the university is scheduled to receive from the US Department of Education through the CARES Act which was recently passed by Congress and signed into law by the President,” Charles said. “At this point, because we have been waiting to see how much we will receive, a final determination has not been made on how these funds will be distributed. “

This article will be updated with responses from the university about how they intend to use the money as that information becomes available.

News Editor Kallie Cox can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @KallieECox.