SIU announces student refund amounts

By Kallie Cox, News Editor

Residents who have not lived on campus since spring break will receive either credit or reimbursement of up to 50 percent of their room and board costs, according to an email sent to students by Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Lori Stettler.

The amount students are reimbursed for will depend upon their housing contract and meal plan as well as other factors Stettler said.

“If part of your room and board was covered by a scholarship or other form of financial aid, it is possible that you will not receive the full 50 percent,” Stettler said. “The Financial Aid and Scholarship Office will review your account carefully and make any required adjustments based on the type of aid received.”

If a student has an outstanding balance on their bursar account, their refund will be credited to the account and any remaining funds will be reimbursed, Stettler said. 

Stettler said students will be reimbursed even if they have not officially checked out of and removed their belongings from their residence. 

“If your belongings are still on campus, you will be notified of the time period when you may retrieve your belongings and properly check out of your room,” Stettler said. “Please remember that you may not come to campus to retrieve your belongings until further notice in order to protect everyone’s safety. Access to the buildings has been restricted to current residents only and fob access to buildings will not work for those not currently in residence.”

Stettler said they expect reimbursements to begin processing around mid-April and to email [email protected] with questions.

“No reimbursements are planned for students who are remaining in residence for the spring semester,” Stettler said. 

Reimbursements will be made via direct deposit.

News Editor Kallie Cox can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @KallieECox.