Carbondale School District #95 announces closure; providing breakfast, lunch pickups to students

By Bethany Rentfro, Staff Reporter

Chloe Schobert | @chloscho_art2020

Carbondale Elementary School District #95 announced their closure Friday in an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19. 

Superintendent Daniel Booth announced in a release today on the school website that all District #95 schools will close next week from March 16 to March 20. 

“Out of an abundance of caution and in an effort to preserve the safety and well-being of our students, we have decided to close all Carbondale Elementary schools next week,” Booth said. 

The closure affects all school programming, after-school activities, athletics and extracurricular activities, competitions and all weekend events, according to the release. 

District #95 will offer “Grab & Go Breakfast and Lunch” pickup to district students from 7:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. from March 16 through March 20 at Thomas Elementary School and Carbondale Middle School. 

Carbondale Boys & Girls Club’s main site will remain open from noon to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. 

Booth said the district is asking everyone to closely monitor themselves over the coming week. 

“We understand that many families have traveled nationally and internationally over spring break,” Booth said. “Individuals who need medical care should call their medical provider to report illness prior to seeking care at a clinic, physician’s office or hospital.” 

Parents of students or staff members who are exhibiting flu-like symptoms are urged to contact the Jackson County Health Department.

Staff reporter Bethany Rentfro can be reached via email at [email protected].

To stay up to date with all the latest news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.