Kent Williams to join the MVC Hall of Fame

Game+from+SIU+Arena+in+2001.+Salukis+beat+Indiana%2C+72-60.+Photograph+courtesy+of+SIU+Athletics.+

Game from SIU Arena in 2001. Salukis beat Indiana, 72-60. Photograph courtesy of SIU Athletics.

By Dillon Gilliland, Sports Editor

Former Saluki men’s basketball star Kent Williams is set to be inducted into the Missouri Valley Conference Hall of Fame.

Williams makes his case for Hall of Fame honors as he is the second leading all-time scorer with 2,012 points averaging 15.5 per game.

He furthered his credentials for the honors with being second in career 3-pointers with 249 as well as second in second in career free throws with 479.

The Mount Vernon native’s superior scoring abilities established him as the only player in SIU history to lead the team in scoring in four straight years.

In Willams’ first year in Carbondale he averaged 13.3 points per game along with 1.9 assists and 0.8 steals per game receiving the nod as MVC Newcomer of the Year as well as Freshman of the year.

During his sophomore campaign, the former Saluki snatched himself a second-team All-MVC with a stat line of 17.6 points per game and 2.8 assists per game.

The future inductee continued to improve in his final two years to earn first-team All-MVC in both years along with runner up to NBA start Kyle Korver for the Larry Bird Player of the Year Trophy.

The induction ceremony is set for March 8, 2019 in St. Louis.

Sports reporter Dillon Gilliland can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @DillonGilliland.

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter