Missouri State hands Saluki women second straight loss

By Dillon Gilliland, Sports Reporter

The SIU women’s basketball team took on the Missouri State Bears in its final road game of the regular season on Friday.

The Salukis faced the Bears earlier this season where Southern took the overtime win. This time, Missouri State (17-10, 13-3 MVC) came out on top, 79-61.

MSU came out hot in the opening quarter and jumped to an early 10-5 lead with four points from the free-throw line.

The Bears held their lead for the remainder of the period and went into the second with a 20-15 lead over SIU.

MSU continued its run in the second quarter with eight unanswered points. An 11-0 run followed and put SIU down 39-19 going into halftime.

The Salukis had one of their lowest scoring periods in the second quarter and was outscored 9-4.

Southern showed some life in the second half as it kicked off the third period with five straight points sparked by a 3-pointer from freshman guard Makenzie Silvey.

Silvey finished with a game-high 18 points, four rebounds and three assists.

After it got within 13 points of the Bears, SIU gave up an 8-2 run and slipped into a 19-point deficit.

Missouri State held its commanding lead for the remainder of the quarter and began the final 10 minutes with a 59-42 lead.

The Salukis could not gain any ground on the Bears in the fourth quarter and fell 79-61.

The Salukis (14-12, 9-6 MVC) will return home on March 1 to face Indiana State. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Sports reporter Dillon Gilliland can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @DillonGilliland.

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.