Salukis defeat Valparaiso in double-overtime thriller

By Dillon Gilliland, Sports Reporter

The Saluki women began their three-game road trip Friday evening against the Valparaiso Crusaders.

SIU held off Valpo (11-13, 4-9 MVC) in the double-overtime matchup, 88-86.

The Salukis defeated the Crusaders earlier in the season behind 19 points from freshman guard Makenzie Silvey.

Southern came into the contest not only looking to sweep the season series against the conference newcomers but to win a second straight game.

The opening quarter was loaded with offense as both teams traded buckets. At the end of the first, Valpo led 17-16.

Both teams’ stats were almost identical after ten minutes. Each squad only put up five field goals with no 3-pointers and collected 11 rebounds.

After a short breather, SIU began to take over.

The Salukis opened up the second period with a 7-0 run led by a 3-pointer from senior guard Kylie Giebelhausen that gave Southern a 23-17 lead.

Silvey single-handedly stretched SIU’s lead to 12 points after she put up six unanswered points with a 3-pointer and an and-one play.

The Crusaders responded with an 11-0 run that brought them within one point as the final minutes of the half approached.

The Salukis held on to their lead going into the half as they put together one last five-point run.

Silvey led Southern in scoring at halftime with 12 points and showed promise of setting a new career-high in points.

Afte five minutes of trading points in the third quarter, Valpo went on a 12-5 run that built a one-point lead.

Southern refused to back down as they battled back to tie the game at 50 before the final period.

As the teams traded points throughout the fourth quarter, a thrilling finish loomed over the game.

With two second left on the clock, freshman forward Abby Brockmeyer — who finished with 17 points, six rebounds and three blocks — sank two free throws that gave SIU what seemed to be the win.

Valpo sophomore guard Maya Meredith had different plans. She sank a half-court buzzer-beater that sent the game into overtime tied at 66.

The teams continued to trade buckets in halftime, but it was the Crusaders who had the two-point lead with 25 seconds remaining.

Shortly after, Giebelhausen sank a short jumper that sent the game into double overtime tied at 73.

The trend of trading points continued into the second period of overtime as neither team could pull away from their opponent.

Giebelhausen proved clutch again as she sank back back-to-back 3-pointers that gave SIU the the 86-84 in the game’s final seconds.

Giebelhausen finished the game with 22 points, four assists and nine rebounds.

After a quick jumper from Valpo tied the game up, SIU sank a couple of free-throws that gave it a two-point lead with two seconds left on the clock.

The Crusaders could not pull off a second Hail Mary attempt as the Salukis took home the 88-86 win and completed the sweep of Valparaiso in the season series.

Silvey fell short in setting a new career-high in points, as she finished with 15 points and five assists.

Up next, the Salukis (14-11, 9-5 MVC) will continue their road trip when they head to Chicago on Sunday to take on the Loyola Ramblers. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m.

Sports reporter Dillon Gilliland can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @DillonGilliland.

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.