Saluki women torched by Blazers 76-66

By Ryan Demer

The Saluki women’s basketball team (1-1) fell 76-66 to the Alabama-Birmingham Blazers (2-0) in their first road game of the season.

The team started a lineup that featured three freshmen, including forward Abby Brockmeyer, guard Makenzie Silvey and forward Rachel Pudlowski.

In the first half, both teams found themselves neck and neck.

Early in the first quarter, the Salukis jumped to an early 4-0 lead thanks in part to sophomore forward Nicole Martin’s two jumpers.

The 4-0 advantage proved to be the only lead for the Salukis in the game.

Southern was unable to generate much offense after Martin’s two baskets and allowed UAB to regain control of the game in the quarter.

SIU brought the game within one in the second quarter after a layup by junior center Ashley Hummel made the score 24-23 UAB.

Despite Southern’s effort to regain control of the game, UAB stayed composed with an answer every time.

Even in the winding seconds of the first half, with the team only up one, two clutch free throws were hit by sophomore guard —and reigning Conference USA Freshman of the year — Rachel Childress, who scored a game-high 29 points in the contest.

The third quarter saw the Salukis in catch-up mode yet again, as they got the game within one possession and were unable to claim the lead.

The Blazers built a double-digit lead in the third that proved too much for SIU. The Saluki offense simply did not play efficiently enough, as the team even endured a 4-minute span with no points.

By the time the fourth quarter rolled around, the game was already out of reach at 63-48, and the Southern offense was too out of sync to amount to a comeback.

One major factor in the Saluki loss was the presence of UAB on the boards. On the offensive glass, the Blazers recorded 19 offensive boards opposed to the Salukis’ 9.

In addition, UAB shot lights out from 3-point range, as they made 11-23 threes. SIU shot a respectable 4-11.

Turnovers also proved to be a problem for Southern, as the team recorded 19 turnovers compared to UAB’s 11 on the night.

There were some bright spots, however, as freshman Abby Brockmeyer earned her first career double-double. She tallied 17 points, 10 rebounds and had a game-high three blocks.

Sophomore Nicole Martin finished with 18 points along with 7 rebounds.

Makenzie Silvey also contributed with 10 points to go with her 4 assists.

The Salukis play again next Sunday when they take on the Memphis Tigers in Memphis, Tennessee. Tip-off is slated for 2 p.m.

Sports writer Ryan Demer can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @RyanDemer_DE 
To stay up to date with all your SIU sports news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.