Solar power gets cheaper, more reliable for homeowners
By Brock Noll, Journalism 310 • April 26, 2024

For most Americans, electricity comes from a company who they pay to keep the current flowing to their house each month. However there may be...

Cobden High Schools ESL Dance Team practices a dance routine during their prep period, Friday, Apr. 12, 2024.
Through Their Lens: Highlights from the Photojournalism Weekend Workshop
April 24, 2024

The School of Journalism and Advertising's Intermediate photojournalism class, organized by Assistant Professor of Photojournalism Julia Rendleman,...

Photo provided by Saluki Athletics
Celia’s success: Pulido puts her name in history books 
By Ryan Grieser, Sports Editor • April 24, 2024

Only one word is needed to describe Celia Pulido’s 2023-2024 season: historic.   The junior from Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico, added...

SIU parts ways with Bryan Mullins after five-year tenure

Head+Coach+Bryan+Mullins+speaks+with+Saluki+basketball+in+a+media+timeout+as+the+Salukis+face+the+Flames+of+UIC+March+7%2C+2024+at+Enterprise+Center+in+St.+Louis%2C+Missouri.+
Lylee Gibbs | @lyleegibbsphoto
Head Coach Bryan Mullins speaks with Saluki basketball in a media timeout as the Salukis face the Flames of UIC March 7, 2024 at Enterprise Center in St. Louis, Missouri.

Less than 24 hours after a heart-wrenching double overtime loss to University of Illinois-Chicago in the Missouri Valley Conference tournament, Southern Illinois men’s basketball head coach Bryan Mullins will no longer be a part of the program, the university confirmed on Friday.

After a rollercoaster season with hopes of a league-shocking championship run, Mullins’ team failed to make it through the first round of the tournament.

Mullins had a career record of 86-68 in his five years at Southern Illinois University. In those five years, he coached multiple first-team all-conference players including MVC’s most improved team captain for 2024, Xavier Johnson and 2020 freshman of the year, Marcus Domask.

The Saluki Hall-of-Fame member won conference defensive player of the year twice to go along with being SIU’s all-time assist leader. His playing career lasted from 2005-2009.

“I have tremendous respect for everything Bryan has accomplished throughout his career as a Saluki,” SIU athletic director Tim Leonard said in a statement. “He guided our program with class and integrity, was an outstanding role model for our student-athletes, and handled himself as a true professional.”

A national search will begin immediately for the next men’s basketball coach, according to Leonard.

View Comments (4)