Women’s Basketball clobbers Illinois State for season sweep

By Joseph Bernard, Staff Reporter

Saluki Women’s hoops kept their winning ways moving during Sunday’s trip to Illinois State. They won the matchup 65-49 for their fifth win in a row and their ninth win in the last ten games.

Highlighting the game for the Salukis was four separate double-digit point performances in graduate student forwards Abby Brockmeyer, Gabby Walker, and Makenzie Silvey, and sophomore Quierra Love.

Brockmeyer led the way with another double-double with 20 points and 12 rebounds along with two assists, a block, and a steal. Silvey tallied 13 points, five rebounds, three assists, and two steals. Love and Walker each had 10 points themselves. Love had four assists, two rebounds, and a steal while Walker had an assist, a rebound, a block, and a steal as well.

The first started out a little back and forth with SIU taking the first lead off a three by Silvey, but at a 5-4 lead the Saluis earned the next seven points to go up eight midway through the first. The Redbirds would earn a couple of baskets, but SIU would turn it on yet again with a 9-2 run to finish out the quarter up by 12 at 21-9.

The second would start off slow for both teams, taking a full 2 and a half minutes to have the first basket from the Redbirds. The rest of the way would favor the Salukis, as the defense only gave up four more points the rest of the quarter. A three-pointer by Payton Mccallister would put the Salukis up 18 late in the frame as they would head into the locker room with a 31-15 lead

Just like the second, the Redbirds would earn the first points of the frame in the third, but SIU would earn the next five off some free throws and a Caitlin Link jumper. Some back and forth would ensue, trading baskets and free throws, but some fouls by Illinois State would give SIU some free points. After, a Silvey three would help give SIU their biggest lead of the day of 23 points at 50-27. The Redbirds weren’t finished with the frame yet though, as they would earn the next eight points to finish the frame down 50-35.

The Redbirds would earn the first points of the fourth off a jumper, but wouldn’t get any farther as the teams traded some baskets for a little bit and only got within 14 points of SIU in the frame. A Gabby Walker layup with less than two minutes left would put SIU back up by 19 and it was too much to overcome as the Salukis downed the Redbirds with a 65-49 final score.

The Salukis will try to continue their conference domination with a start to their last homestand of the year against Indiana State on Thursday night with a 6 p.m first tip.

Sports reporter Joseph Bernard can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @Jojobernard2001.

To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.