Saluki Women’s Hoops gets back on track vs Indiana State

By Joseph Bernard, Staff Reporter

The Saluki women’s basketball team returned to their winning ways tonight with a road win against Indiana State 79-55.

Highlighting the Salukis tonight were two 20+ point performers in sophomore point guard Quierra Love and graduate student forward Abby Brockmeyer. Love had a team-high 24 points on the night, while Brockmeyer followed with a double-double on the night with 20 points and 11 rebounds off 8-9 on field goals. Gabby Walker wasn’t too far behind with 16 points and three rebounds as well

The first quarter couldn’t have started any better for the Salukis, as they marched onto the first ten points of the game before the Sycamores scored their first basket. The Sycamores finally started to find their footing and started to keep up with the Salukis from here. A free throw by walker made it 16-8 with less than 2:30 left. A Sycamore jumper and three-pointer started a 6-2 run for Indiana State in the final minutes and made it 18-14 after the first.

The second quarter started off much like the first, with the Salukis earning 12 of the first 14 points starting out. That put them up 30-16 late in the second. Another jumper for the Sycamores started to get some momentum for them, but it wasn’t what they wanted and the Salukis continued their march into the locker room for halftime up 36-22.

The third went a little bit more even between both teams as they swapped a pair of baskets to start the second half. At 44-26, the Sycamores were trying to cut their deficit down by going on a run of their own. They cut it to an 11 point lead after a few free-throw attempts late in the third, but the Salukis had a run of their own to end the third and went up 16 points before the final frame.

Things were a little back and forth at the start of the final frame. However, a 15-2 run in the middle of the frame earned the Salukis a massive 30 point lead late and tied a bow on things with a layup by sophomore Adrianna Katcher. The Salukis were just too hot to cool down as they won the road matchup with a 79-55 final score. They now have won five of their last six.

The Salukis will be back in action Friday as they return home against the conference-leading University of Northern Iowa Panthers with a 6 p.m first-tip.

Sports reporter Joseph Bernard can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @Jojobernard2001.

To stay up to date on all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.

Gabby Walker, Adrianna Katcher, Salukis, Women’s basketball, Abby Brockmeyer, Quierra Love, Indiana State Sycamores, SIUC, University of Northern Iowa Panthers, Double-double