Chancellor addresses diversity, inclusion after Chauvin verdict

By Jamilah Lewis, Staff Reporter

Earlier this morning, SIU Chancellor Austin Lane sent out an email regarding SIU’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, as well as making SIU an “anti-racism campus.”

The email comes in the wake of the verdict of the Derek Chauvin trial for the murder of George Floyd.

SIU Carbondale has made significant strides since last July,” Lane said in his email. “We established the Chancellor’s Task Force on Diversity and Inclusion to look at systemic racism on our campus.”

Task force recommendations implemented so far include hosting a Diversity Week, focusing on diversity in the required UNIV 101 course, and requiring anti-bias training for search committee members.

Lane also made sure to put an emphasis on the mental health services, such as the  SIU Counseling and Psychological Services for students and the Employee Assistance Program for faculty and staff.

This Thursday, there will be a discussion held on Lane’s YouTube channel with three counselors from the SIU Health Services to give students the opportunity to share their concerns and their view on how things are on campus, Lane said in the email.

Lane said he will also deliver the “State of the University Address” where Lane will reflect and look back on the knowledge he gained with his first year as Chancellor, and a look into a preview of future strategic plans and campus improvement.

Staff reporter Jamilah Lewis can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @jamilahlewis