Loyola takes first game of the series against Salukis

Brian Munoz | @BrianMMunoz

Southern Illinois Salukis forward Abby Brockmeyer attempts to shoot a basket while under pressure from Missouri State Lady Bears forward Abby Hipp on Friday, Feb. 8, 2019, during the Southern Illinois Salukis’ matchup against the Missouri State Lady Bears at SIU Arena.

The Saluki women’s basketball team (5-6, 2-4 MVC) fell to the Loyola Ramblers (6-4, 3-2 MVC) by a score of 53-46 on Jan. 30, after a three-week break due to COVID-19 positive test results. 

Although Southern tried to stay close with Loyola, the Ramblers kept the lead for almost the entire game, pulling away in the last minutes of the fourth quarter.

Senior guard Bre Hampton-Bey led scoring for the Ramblers with 23 points and senior forward Abby Brockmeyer led scoring for SIU with a season high of 28 points. 

Brockmeyer and junior guard Payton McCallister also led Southern in rebounds with eight each.

Freshman guard Quierra Love and senior guard Makenzie Silvey were among the top scorers of the Salukis with seven points. Love Also led SIU in assists with three. 

Loyola started off the game with a layup from Hampton-Bey. This was followed by a 3-point play from Silvey, giving the Salukis a one-point lead.

The Ramblers regained the lead with a basket from freshman guard Maya Chandler making the score 4-3.

The score was tied halfway through the first quarter after a 3-pointer from Love and a layup from Hampton-Bey.

The defensive efforts from both teams kept the last minutes of the first quarter nearly scoreless with Loyola gaining the lead, 9-8, in the last minute after a 3-pointer from Chandler.

The Ramblers lengthened their lead early in the second quarter with a four-point run with scoring from Hampton-Bey and Chandler.

Loyola gained their largest lead in the game, 19-11, after a 3-pointer from sophomore guard Anna Brown and a 3-point play from junior forward Allison Day. 

Southern fought to close the gap with a 3-point play from Brockmeyer making the score 19-14.

Despite the scoring efforts from Silvey and Brockmeyer, Loyola kept the lead at the end of the first half, 25-20.

Hampton-Bey led scoring for the Ramblers at the half with eight points and Brockmeyer led scoring for SIU with eight points.

The Salukis started the second half with a layup from Love making the score 25-22.

This was followed by a 3-pointer from sophomore guard Sam Galanopoulos.

Scoring went back-and-forth in the middle of the third quarter with points from McCallister and Chandler, but Loyola kept the lead 31-26.

Loyola finished the third quarter with a five point run with a 3-point play and layup  from Hampton-Bey making the score 38-31.

Southern began the last quarter with a fast break layup from Brockmeyer.

Brockmeyer and Hampton-Bey traded points in the fourth quarter with Brockermeyer tying the score, 41-41, with a basket assisted by junior guard Caitlin Link.

Hampton-Bey regained the lead, 44-41, with a 3-point play.

The Ramblers increased their lead, 47-42, with a layup from Day and a free throw from Chandler.

Loyola finished the game with two free throws from Day, Hampton-Bey and senior guard Ellie Rice each, sealing the Ramblers victory 53-46.

The Salukis take the court next against  Loyola on Jan. 31 at the Gentile Center at 3 p.m.. 

Staff reporter Janae Mosby can be reached at jmosby@dailyegyptian.com or on Twitter at @mosbyj.