Scholastic Journalism Week 2024 Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 6, 2024

The Daily Egyptian Celebrates Scholastic Journalism Week in February with speaking engagements; digital newsroom fundraiser

Carbondale, IL – The Daily Egyptian, the student-led newspaper at Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, is excited to join the nationwide celebration of Scholastic Journalism Week, taking place from February 19-23, 2024. Scholastic Journalism Week is an annual event that emphasizes the significance of journalism and media literacy in educational institutions across the United States.

Organized by the Journalism Education Association (JEA) and the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA), Scholastic Journalism Week is a week-long observance that encourages schools and colleges to recognize and promote the crucial role journalism education plays in fostering critical thinking, communication skills, and media literacy among students. The JEA is celebrating their 100th anniversary this year.

The Daily Egyptian, committed to journalistic excellence and student engagement, is enthusiastic about participating in this important week dedicated to the promotion of scholastic journalism. Throughout the week, the newspaper will feature special articles, editorials, and events to showcase the impact of journalism on campus and encourage dialogue around media literacy. The student staff will also be speaking on behalf of the DE’s Scholastic Journalism Week observance at local chambers of commerce events and other community meetings through the spring.

“We look forward to showcasing our impressive student-led staff and giving you just a taste of what goes into Daily Egyptian production,” said Cole Daily, The Daily Egyptian’s editor-in-chief. “Scholastic Journalism Week gives us the opportunity to celebrate all the hard work and dedication that goes into one of the longest-running print newspapers in Illinois. With your assistance, we can broaden our frontier and give more opportunities to so many students eager for future career development.”

The primary goals of Scholastic Journalism Week include:

• 1) Promoting Journalism Education: The week aims to emphasize the importance of journalism education and its role in the development of essential skills such as critical thinking and media literacy.
  • 2) Celebrating Student Journalists: Scholastic Journalism Week provides an opportunity to acknowledge and celebrate the hard work and dedication of student journalists. Their impact on schools and communities is significant, and this week serves as a platform to recognize their contributions.
  • 3) Raising Awareness: The event is designed to raise awareness about the challenges and opportunities within the field of journalism. It also highlights the vital role of a free and responsible press in a democratic society.
  • 4) Advocating for Student Press Freedom: Scholastic Journalism Week advocates for the freedom of student press. It underlines the importance of providing students with the ability to report on issues that matter to them without censorship, promoting a free exchange of ideas within educational institutions.

The community is encouraged to support journalism students and The Daily Egyptian in a handful of ways:

1. Follow The Daily Egyptian online. Bookmark DailyEgyptian.com or download the Daily Egyptian app and make it a habit to check in on the latest news. 
  2. Follow the DE on social media: We’re on Facebook, Instagram, X (Twitter), YouTube and TikTok. Share posts and stories that interest you so others in the community can read us, too.
  3. Pick up a print copy each week at one of the 300 locations along the Route 13 corridor, from Murphysboro to Marion. They are in racks on campus by Wednesday afternoon and the rest of the community by Friday.
  4. Buy a Daily Egyptian t-shirt or sweatshirt. The fliers on your table have the QR code and URL that go directly to our online store. A portion of the proceeds will be coming right to the DE for us to fund our digital newsroom and student travel. 
  5. Donate to The Daily Egyptian through the Southern Illinois University Foundation here; be sure to make The Daily Egyptian your donation designation.
  6. Place an ad for your business or organization with the DE – as we already mentioned, we have print, online and multimedia options to help you reach our readers.
  7. Become a digital newsroom sponsor. There’s another QR code on the flier, as well as a website URL with the details. These funds will be used to build our digital newsroom and include display ads in the DE, mentions in our digital content and more. Visit DailyEgyptian.com/support

Join us in celebrating Scholastic Journalism Week as we recognize the vital role of journalism education, honor the dedication of SIU’s student journalists, and advocate for the importance of a free and responsible press.

For more information about Scholastic Journalism Week, please visit the Journalism Education Association (JEA) website.

For media inquiries, contact:

Cole Daily

Editor-in-Chief

[email protected]

(309) 696-8875