Cassandra Jett clears snow and ice off of her car Monday, Feb. 15, 2021, in Carbondale, Ill. (Sophie Whitten | @swhittenphotography)
Cassandra Jett clears snow and ice off of her car Monday, Feb. 15, 2021, in Carbondale, Ill.

Sophie Whitten | @swhittenphotography

Campus closed through Tuesday because of ice

January 30, 2023

SIUC will be closed Tuesday due to weather conditions. The Emergency Operations center advised people to “use extreme caution” when moving around campus.

Sleet was falling Monday evening, causing parking lots to ice over like skating rinks, making driving and walking dangerous.

The weather forced an administrative closure, meaning all classes, in-person, hybrid and online are cancelled.

Residence halls and the Department of Public Safety will remain open. Residential dining and the Rec Center will operate between 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. All other campus buildings and offices will be closed.

The center said grounds workers will be clearing sidewalks, steps and parking lots as weather conditions permit.

At this time, the university is scheduled to reopen at  6 a.m. Wednesday, but the emergency center will monitor the weather and announce any changes to that plan.

View Comments(1)

The Daily Egyptian • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• T

Tony WilliamsFeb 8, 2023 at 3:15 pm

Despite the announcement of campus closure by our Chancel,lor on 4,0 pm that day, the Morris Library was forced to remain open until an appeal to the Dean of Library Affairs over the dangerous conditions outside led to its closure THREE HOURS LATER. Why was such discrimination made against Library Staff who deserve the same right to protection as faculty and students. This raises some very grave concerns over the competence of our current Chancellor where concern for All members of SIUC rather than his constant spin-doctoring pronouncements over care for “his” community!

Reply
1