A group of sledders coast down a hill at the Banterra Center Feb. 4, 2022 in Carbondale, Ill. (Sophie Whitten | @swhittenphotography)
A group of sledders coast down a hill at the Banterra Center Feb. 4, 2022 in Carbondale, Ill.

Sophie Whitten | @swhittenphotography

Semester in Photos: Spring 2022

May 4, 2022

The Daily Egyptian photo staff poses for a picture May 2, 2022 at SIU in Carbondale, Ill. Back row from left to right: Mallory Aukland, Triston Allen, Julian Castillo, Tiffany Young, Sophie Whitten, Trevor Reaman, Sophia Rogers. Front row from left to right: Dominique Martinez-Powell, Kylen Lunn
The Daily Egyptian design desk poses for a photograph May 2, 2022 at SIU in Carbondale, Ill. From left to right: Seth Martin, Dustin Clark, Anika Svancarek, Peyton Cook.

Triston Allen is a senior studying Cinema and Photography with a minor in Television Studies. This is his sixth semester at SIU and he plans to graduate in the spring of 2022. He is the historian of the Zeta Sigma chapter of Kappa Alpha Order. Triston has spent three years in the film program at SIU, has worked as a photographer for the DE for one semester. His interests include directing, screenwriting and photography. 

Mallory Aukland is a senior studying Journalism. This is her seventh semester at SIU and she plans to graduate in the spring of 2023. Mallory has worked as a photographer for the DE for one semester. Her interests include reading, photography and travel. 

Julian Castillo is a junior studying Cinema and Photography. This is his sixth semester at SIU and he plans to graduate in the spring of 2023. Julian has spent three years in the film program at SIU and has been working as a photographer and videographer for the DE for two semesters. His interests include directing, documentary and photography.

Dustin Clark is a Radio, Television, and Digital Media senior who is specializing in animation. He is the Design Chief at the DE and president and cofounder of Computer Arts and Technology Dawgs Studios, a game design RSO. After four semesters at SIU and at the DE, he is graduating this Saturday. His interests include creating 3D art, playing guitar in his band, HOUND and making video games. 

Peyton Cook is a freshman majoring in Marketing. This is her second semester at SIU and she plans to graduate in spring of 2025. Peyton has spent one semester as a graphic designer at the DE. Peyton’s interests include yoga, color guard, writing, drawing and making tons and tons of lists.

Kylen Lunn is a junior studying Cinematography and Photography. This is his sixth semester at SIU and he plans to graduate in the spring of 2023. Kylen has spent three years in the cinematography program at SIU and has worked for the DE as a photographer and videographer for two semesters. His interests include concert videography and photography, travel videography, editing video and portrait photography. 

Seth Martin is a junior studying Industrial Design at SIU. This is his fourth semester at SIU with plans to graduate in spring 2023. Seth has been with the DE for the past two semesters as a designer. His interests include sketching, model-making and spending time outdoors. 

Dominique Martinez-Powell is an SIU Psychology major working on a specialization in Pre-health. This is her second semester as a photographer at the DE. Dominique’s interests are art, photography, music, psychology and plants. 

Trevor Reaman is a junior transfer at SIU studying Cinema and plans to graduate May of 2023. He has been in film studies for a year, but it is his first semester at the DE. His interests are video editing and production and analog photography.

Sophia Rogers is a sophomore studying Psychology on the Pre-med track with a double minor in Biological Science and Photography. This is her fourth semester at SIU and plans to graduate in the spring of 2024. Sophia has spent two years in the science program and two semesters in the cinema program at SIU. This is her second semester as a photographer at the DE. Her interests include photography, football, e-sports and competitive swimming. 

Anika Svancarek is a sophomore, dual majoring in Communications and Industrial Design. This is her fourth semester at SIU, and she plans to graduate in spring of 2025 with a Bachelor’s of Fine Arts. She has been a designer for the DE for two semesters, and she loves to draw, cook and hang out with friends. 

Sophie Whitten is the photo editor at the DE and a junior at SIU, double majoring in Advertising and Creative Writing. This is her fourth semester at SIU and third semester at the DE. She plans to graduate in the fall of 2023. Sophie’s interests include photography, reading, writing, gardening and traveling. 

Tiffany Young is a sophomore majoring in Journalism with a specialization in Photography. This is her fourth semester at SIU and she plans to graduate in spring of 2024. Tiffany has spent two semesters working as a photographer at the DE. Her interests include traveling, photography, writing and editing.