Daily Egyptian wins 18 awards in Illinois College Press Association annual competition

By Staff Report, News Desk

The Daily Egyptian won 18 Illinois College Press Association awards for 2020. 

“I’m very proud of you guys and you did great work under duress and very stressful times, a really hard semester with COVID and everything shutting down suddenly,”Julia Rendleman, Daily Egyptian interim faculty adviser, said. “You guys did a lot with a little; I’m really proud.”

This year, 24 schools entered a total of 896 submissions to the competition in 12 open division categories and 22 additional division subcategories. 

“I am just proud of the staff for pulling through and continuing to cover our community despite COVID-19 and other challenges we faced throughout the semester,” Editor-in-Chief Kallie Cox said.

The Daily Egyptian won second place for online news site. The rest of the awards are as follows:

Writing

News editor Tāmar Mosby, a senior majoring in fashion styling with a minor in journalism, won first place in the sports feature story category for her story on Olympic athlete Gwen Berry.

(See more: One podium, one large reprimand: Olympian speaks about her pan-American protest and the punishment that followed it)

Mosby also won first place in sports columns for her column on women in sports journalism. 

(See more: Women in the sports world: We deserve more respect)

Former staff reporter, Juniper Oxford, won first place in headline writing for the headline “Illinois flushes out bathroom discrimination with new law.”

(See more: Illinois flushes out bathroom discrimination with new law)

Keaton Yates, a sophomore studying English, received an honorable mention for his headline “You may be bad, but are you perfectly good at it? How to practice safe BDSM.”

(See more: You may be bad, but are you perfectly good at it? How to practice safe BDSM)

The Daily Egyptian editorial board received an honorable mention in the editorials category for an editorial about student on-campus jobs.

(See more: Editorial: Young, broke and capped at 20 hours a week, student workers struggle to get by)

Features editor Rana Schenke, a senior studying fashion design, received an honorable mention in the news story category for her story documenting the experiences of students in Carbondale without reliable internet access. 

(See more: Technical difficulties: Lack of internet puts some students at a disadvantage)

News editor Brooke Buerck, a senior majoring in English, received an honorable mention for a sports game story.

(See more: SIU gets past MO State with a buzzer-beater)

Photo and Multimedia

Photo editor Leah Sutton, a senior studying cinema and photography, won second place for her photo essay on the Mermet Springs diving facility.

(See more: Gallery: ‘Dive in first class’ in southern Illinois)

Jamilah Lewis, Keaton Yates, George Wiebe and Jared Treece won second place in multimedia reporting for their coverage of the march in Vienna.

(See more: ‘All lives can’t matter until Black lives do:’ Racist incident at Vienna high school leads to protest)

Photographer Jared Treece, a senior studying cinema and photography, won second place in sports photos with a basketball photo. 

Leah Sutton won third place in the Shoot Your World photo competition.

See some of the winning photos below.

Jared Treece received an honorable mention for his multimedia piece on Doris Miller.

(See more: Avid Trump supporter helps raise funds for the president)

Design

The Daily Egyptian won second place in front page layout.

Graphic designer Jacqueline Boyd, a junior studying art, won second place in the less-than-full-page advertisement category for an advertisement for Plaza Records.

Design Chief Chloe Schobert, a junior majoring in communication design with a minor in photography, won second place for feature page design.

Schobert, along with Leah Sutton, also received an honorable mention for feature page design.

Former design chief Erin Douglas received an honorable mention in sports page design.

The Daily Egyptian News Desk can be reached at [email protected]