The top three winners, Evan Huddleston, Kelsie Jennings and Jess Grygus win the trivia night with over 13,000 points on Feb. 3, 2021. (Madison Taylor | @the.madisontaylor)
The top three winners, Evan Huddleston, Kelsie Jennings and Jess Grygus win the trivia night with over 13,000 points on Feb. 3, 2021.

Madison Taylor | @the.madisontaylor

60 in 60 Black History Month Trivia

February 4, 2021

On Wednesday night February 3, 2021, at 8 p.m. SIU student program council hosted a trivia night for Black History Month. 

This was a students only event where students had the chance to win $60 Amazon gift cards if they were one of the top three winners. 

The event was hosted by Jason Hudy. There were 60 questions within 60 minutes where students answered questions on their phones and played live on their laptops or tablets. 

They raced to get the correct answer the fastest to win the grand prizes. Depending on how fast someone answered the question determined how many points they received. The less time left the less points a player would get. 

The questionnaire began with some easier questions. The first question being, “what was Martin Luther King’s famous speech called?” 100 percent of the students playing got this answer right.

Towards the end of the game, the questions became more difficult and the correct percentage of students answering them lowered. 

Some questions were shockers, while others were not as much.

A trickier question was question number 20. “With a total of 30 Olympic World Championship medals who is the most decorated American gymnast?” 38 percent chose Gabby Douglas while 58 percent chose Simone Biles. The correct answer was Simone Biles. 

Another highly missed question was, “why is Black History Month in February?”

Most people believed the correct answer was because the Civil Rights Act was passed in February, but the correct answer was Carter G. Woodson known as the “Father of Black History” chose February because it held the birthdays of Frederick Douglass, a famed abolitionist and President Abraham Lincoln who abolished slavery. 

One interesting question was, “what is the name of the only recognized African American owned automobile company?” The majority of students chose Kaiser-Fraizer but the correct answer was C.R Patterson and Sons which isn’t a familiar name. 

The last question was the most missed question, “of these four women, all renowned in the field in medicine, which one became the first female African-American Neurosurgeon. Only 24 percent got the correct answer, Alexa Canady.

By the end of the game, the top three winners won a $60 Amazon. First place went to Evan Huddleston, a sophomore history major at SIU.

Staff photographer [Madison Taylor ] can be reached at [ [email protected] ] or on Twitter at [ taylorm20 ]