Grace Durocher, a biochemistry major, helps out fellow students paint pumpkins at the Moon Light on the Lake event Saturday, Oct. 17, 2020, near campus lake. “This was just a good way to get people out, because of Coronavirus, all these students have been stuck in their dorms with nothing to do. So we wanted to offer a safe setting for people to get out, below off some stress, meet some new friends, and just have a good night,” Durocher said. (Jared Treece | @bisalo)
Grace Durocher, a biochemistry major, helps out fellow students paint pumpkins at the Moon Light on the Lake event Saturday, Oct. 17, 2020, near campus lake. “This was just a good way to get people out, because of Coronavirus, all these students have been stuck in their dorms with nothing to do. So we wanted to offer a safe setting for people to get out, below off some stress, meet some new friends, and just have a good night,” Durocher said.

Jared Treece | @bisalo

SIU Honors Assembly hosts Moon Light on the Lake

October 18, 2020

The SIU Honors Assembly held Moon Light on the Lake event near campus lake at SIU on Oct. 17. Participants were welcomed to join in on Halloween themed activities and treats.  

Activities included a Halloween scavenger hunt, pumpkin painting, and a spooky photo booth put on by SIU Photogenesis. Students were given treat bags and other Halloween treats while practicing social distancing. 

Melinda Yeomans, the associate director of the honors program, helped the Honors Assembly prepare for the Moon Light on the Lake. 

“People are just having a beautiful time playing games. As much as a social distanced event can be, it’s so happy and people are enjoying themselves so much,” Yeomans said.  

Grace Durocher, vice president of event planning and promotions for the Honors Assembly, has been planning the Moon Light on the Lake event for a few weeks along with the other Honors Assembly members. 

“This was just a good way to get people out, because of coronavirus, all these students have been stuck in their dorms with nothing to do. So we wanted to offer a safe setting for people to get out, blow off some stress, meet some new friends, and just have a good night,” Durocher said.  

The Honors Assembly previously hosted the COVID Reality Listening Session on Sept. 25. This event was meant to be a safe space for students to come together and discuss their experiences during the pandemic.

The next event that the Honors Assembly will be hosting will be the Research Symposium where students will be able to display research they have worked on throughout the year. The Research Symposium is still in the planning process and does not have a definite date yet.