SIU opens applications for permanent chancellor

By Staff Report, News Desk

Southern Illinois University Carbondale is currently searching for applications and nominations for a permanent chancellor, according to a university press release.

The search is being conducted by a university search advisory committee with assistance from executive search firm WittKieffer, according to the SIU chancellor search webpage

The search advisory committee consists of 23 members selected based on guidelines recognized by the SIU Board of Trustees who reflect the university’s many constituencies.

The chairperson of the committee is Marc Morris, director of the School of Accountancy and chair of the faculty’s Graduate Council, who said the committee has been working behind the scenes to finalize the position description and publicly launch the search.

“We encourage and welcome applications, nominations and other questions,” Morris said in the release. “This is an excellent opportunity for a visionary leader who will lead SIU into its next 150 years.” 

According to the position description, SIU is looking for a new chancellor who has a “deep and actionable understanding of higher education in its current circumstances,” as well as “a successful track record as an agent of change, a builder of trusting relationships, and an unrelenting champion of students, scholarship and research.”

The description said the candidate would need to possess an earned terminal degree and a history of transparency, active communication and inclusive decision-making.

“Of the greatest import is a leader with a commitment to doing the right thing in the face of competing interests and political pressures, the ability to implement difficult decisions and thus create institutional change and the persistence necessary to see those initiatives through to fruition,” the description said. 

According to the search timeline, through the end of December and into January 2020, the committee will accept and review applications, as well as select on-campus interview dates and reserve rooms.

In January and February 2020, approximately 10 candidates will be selected for interviews. The interview protocol will be finalized and interviews and background checks will be conducted.

Background checks will include credit, criminal and motor vehicle checks, on- and off-list reference checks, credential verification, journal articles, media reviews for potentially controversial areas of concern, signed statements of resume accuracy from candidates and confidential determinations of suitability as a full professor, according to the timeline.

In February and March, the committee will compile a list of potential finalists’ strengths and weaknesses for review. The president will select finalists for the campus visit and on-campus interviews will be conducted. 

The goal is for incoming SIU System President Daniel F. Mahony to recommend a finalist to the Board of Trustees in April,” the press release said. “Mahony, who starts March 1, will be fully engaged with the search.”

In April, a departmental vote for tenure and full professor for finalist will take place. Mahony will discuss the potential offer with the final candidate, followed by Board approval, the timeline said. 

“We are dedicated to keeping the university community informed about the search process,” the search page said. “As SIU Carbondale celebrates its 150th anniversary, the hiring of a new chancellor will provide the opportunity to strongly chart its course for the next 150 years.”

The search advisory committee is accepting application materials through Dec. 31. 

The position description said applicants must submit a resume/curriculum vitae, the names and contact information for five references and a letter of application in response to the opportunities and expectations described within the leadership profile to [email protected].

The Daily Egyptian’s News Desk can be reached at 1-618-536-3329, by email at [email protected] or on Twitter at @dailyegyptian.

To stay up to date with all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter