Resilient Salukis sweep Billikens

Resilient Salukis sweep Billikens

By Tyler Dixon

SIU could do no wrong, and St. Louis University could do no right Tuesday during the Salukis’ home match at Davies Gym.

The Salukis controlled the entire match as they came away with the three-set win 25-15, 25-19 and 25-19. It was the team’s third win of the season and first home sweep. The team swept Siena University during the weekend’s K-State Invitational.

Senior outside hitter Jessica Whitehead said Tuesday’s match meant more because the pressure wasn’t as high during the Siena match.

“This one was more exciting,” she said. “Everybody was smiling and having fun out there.”

Freshman setter Hannah Kaminsky said all of her freshmen teammates have been looking to get their first home win.

“It feels really good,” she said. “We came into it all of us freshmen wanting to expierence the winning feeling and being home.”

Three Saluki players finished the match with double-digit kills. Sophomore middle blocker Taylor Pippen led both teams with 13 kills and posted a 58 hitting percentage. Whitehead finished with 12 kills, while fellow senior outside hitter Elly Braaten tallied 11. Kaminsky recorded a game-high 34 assists to go along with her nine digs.

SIU bested SLU with nine team blocks, two more than the Billikens. Tipping worked will for the Salukis throughout the match, Ingram said the tactic is beneficial when it scores a point or almost scores a point.

Pippen said despite her team earning its third win of the season, this win outshines the other two.

“It’s good to have that win, we haven’t had a win like that yet this season,” she said. “This win is fantastic.”

Pippen and Whitehead said when her team is clicking, it shows its potential and how good of a team it can be.

“We need everybody to click together,” Whitehead said. “Once we click, we get the rhythm and we’re good and can’t be stopped.”

The team will head to Huntington, W.Va., this weekend to compete in the Marshall Invitational, where the Salukis will play host team Marshall University, Kent State University and the University of Western Kentucky.

Whitehead said she hopes her team can continue playing well for the upcoming matches.

“I’m hoping it gels and keeps continuing for the weekend,” she said.

Along with the Salukis’ impressive showing, Chancellor Rita Cheng recognized four SIU students who had served in the military during Military Appreciation Night.

Head Coach Justin Ingram said it’s always good when his team can show admiration for the armed forces.

“I love Military Appreciation Night, anytime we get a chance to support anything that’s going on within the military and those who served,” Ingram said. “We’re all about it.”