Inclusive Excellence names new director

By Charinder Thompson

Progression is one thing SIU has made a priority when it involves the student community in spreading diversity.

In recent years, the university has seen changes considered beneficial to the student body: one of which was the establishment of The Center for Inclusive Excellence. The center was founded summer 2012 in an effort to unite several student programs such as the Hispanic Resource Center, Black Resource Center and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning Resource Center.

Nathan Stephens was named the Director of the Center for Inclusive Excellence on Oct.1.

Stephen’s goal as the new director is to not only shed light on diversity within the student community, but to unite the student body as well.

To me, this campus is about being purposely inclusive versus politically correct,” Stephens said. “ I am being mindful of all groups.”

At the University of Missouri in Columbia, Stephens got his start with administrative positions and organized multiple student programs, some of which he focused solely on the African American student population.

Some of Stephen’s significant contributions to the University of Missouri’s campus were becoming the senior coordinator of the Oldham Black Culture Center and creating MIZZOU Black Men’s Initiative.

Stephens said the title of the inclusive excellence program drew him to the school.

“Most programs at different campuses fail to include underrepresented minorities and it’s welcoming and refreshing,” he said.

There have been major plans in regards to the future of the Center for Inclusive Excellence. The Women’s Center will become a part of the university’s program and also there are plans to relocate to a more accessible location to the third floor of the Student Center.

Since Stephens has gained knowledge and experience with diversity groups at his previous university, his new co-workers seem to believe that he is well equipped for the challenging position.

Paige Gautreaux, a senior studying Accounting from New Iberia, and student employee at the LGBTQ Resource Center said there is hope that Stephens will continue to encourage the resource center’s efforts, such as more opportunities to work with students and safe zone trainings.

Stephens underwent numerous extensive interviews with fellow directors from other programs and chancellor Rita Cheng. The entire interviewing and hiring process took approximately eight weeks.

Juan Cruz Ramirez, former professor and graduate student from Guerrero, Mexico, and assistant for the Hispanic Resource Center, said he is elated for the changes that Stephens is ready to create.

“I think SIU is beginning to understand the need for diversity. We need to function as a whole,” Ramirez said. “This new diversity will really help bring togetherness for us Salukis, because we are representing people all around the world, not just one minority.”

Stephens said he has hopes students can really get involved not just socially, but also academically. The Center for Inclusive Excellence’s goal is to really bring people of all culture and ethnicities together.

“This campus is making sure that students, faculty and staff of all demographics well included and invited,” Stephens said.