University receives gift from alumni

By Charinder Thompson

Alumni’s estate to fund scholarship for students with disabilities

Officials of the university announced Monday that a scholarship will be created and funded with a $1.3 million gift from the estate of Jim and Martha Greenwood.

The substantial amount of money from the Greenwoods will create an endowment and will provide annual scholarships for disabled students who are studying engineering and sciences.

Greg Cook, president of the SIU foundation, said Monday during a press conference one of the rewarding aspects of serving as president is observing the incredible impact SIU donors have on the students.

“Mr. and Mrs. Greenwood have set an example for our alumni,” Cook said, “Their generosity is significant on multiple levels.”

Jim Greenwood attended the university in 1961 where he earned his undergraduate and master’s degrees.

Up until his death in 2009, Greenwood was an active member of the SIU Alumni Association and its Central Florida Chapter. Greenwood also remained an advocate for students with disabilities. His wife Martha died in January 2013.

He said he attended SIU because of the special accommodations the university had for handicapped students and it was one of the few that accommodated his wheelchair.

Chancellor Rita Cheng said at the time Greenwood attended SIU, it was one of few universities in the country that were accessible to students with disabilities.

“The Greenwoods left a powerful legacy by supporting the institution that welcomed him in the ‘60s, well before the Americans with Disabilities Act required campuses to be accessible,” Cheng said at the press conference. “Jim Greenwood remained a Saluki throughout his life, and we couldn’t be prouder or more grateful that he and Martha are making it possible for other students with disabilities to attend SIU.”

Jim Salmo, vice chancellor for development and alumni relations, said the scholarship would be given to multiple students, but that has not been worked out yet.

The university plans to begin distribution of the scholarship in Fall 2014. Once the awards are dispersed, students will be able to apply for the scholarship for the next annual year since it is not given on a four-year basis.

Cheng said she sees the scholarship as a marketing tool for the university to attract more students with disabilities.

Charinder Thompson can be reached at [email protected] 

or 453-3311 ext. 268