Homecoming king and queen to be crowned

By Charinder Thompson

This weekend a new Homecoming king and queen will be crowned, and chances are they will both be Greek.

In the earlier years of the Homecoming tradition, it was a requirement for those who wished to be on the Homecoming court to part of a Greek organization. Despite that no longer being a requirement to be qualified, for the past several years the titles of king and queen have been given to those who are associated with Greek life on the SIU campus. But those who do not have Greek connections might have to work harder to promote themselves.

Alyssa Oros, a senior from Aurora studying Radio and Television and Homecoming Queen nominee, said even though elections are open to anyone qualified, Greek individuals are usually the ones who actually run for court.

During this year’s Homecoming election, there was a 9:1 ratio between Greeks and non-Greeks. Marvin Dixon, a senior from Rockford studying Speech Communication, is the only candidate on 2013 Homecoming court that is not linked to a Greek organization.

“I wanted to be an example for the student body and let them know that you do not need to be part of Greek letter organization to be a positive representation of the school,” Dixon said. “I want to encourage other students to get out and do something but remain themselves while doing so.”

Promotional and marketing efforts have been the major source of exposure for all candidates. Nominees pass out flyers and chalk the sidewalks on campus.

“Marketing wise, a lot of my sorority has supported me and have chalked for me and even put my name on the windows of their cars,” Oros said.

Without a solid support system, it may not be possible for many of the Homecoming candidates to suitably promote and market themselves. Brittany Greathouse, a senior from Bolingbrook studying Finance and Homecoming Queen nominee, said she set up a campaign team beginning with her sorority; the support is always there for those in Greek life, she said.

“If you’re not Greek you have to work a little harder to get yourself out there, because when you’re Greek you automatically know more people,” she said.

Eli Roberts, a senior from Peoria studying Economics and Homecoming King nominee, said being associated with a Greek organization put everyone else at an advantage over the sole non-Greek nominee.

“Being in a Greek organization you have those connections already, and you already have that support system,” he said. “I really feel like you do not stand a chance if you are not involved in a big organization, such as the Greek life.”

Even though a majority of candidates are Greek, new and returning students at the university who are qualified are encouraged to take a chance and apply for a spot on the Homecoming court.

“We pride ourselves on ensuring the Homecoming court application process is open to all SIU students who meet our requirements and are interested in running,“ Sara Vicente, graduate assistant for the University Programming Office, said.